Student hopefuls tell Senate ideas

At the meeting, the current senators and students running for senate were asked to take a test on a few current policies and procedures affiliated with the Student Government.

This was done to make sure each candidate had read the material and to refresh senate members’ memory of student government policies.

Three candidates for student senate gave their opinions on why they should be considered for a position on the senate.

Aaron Jameyson said, “I had experience with helping out with other organizations… I just wanted to take it a step further and come help out with the student government and really do a lot of bigger changes that affect the entire student body instead of just smaller student organizations.”

Candidate Don Slanec wants to make student organizations more aware of the funds Student Government can disperse to them.

“Every year there is a lot of money that Student Government has left over that could be used for events that could really get EMU’s name out there in a positive way and could really benefit the student population,” Slanec said.

Jaimar Scott believes getting EMU alumni active in the campus community can have a positive effect.

”Comparing Eastern Michigan to U of M is a big jump to some people, but when you look at the graduation rate of business majors it is actually good,” Scott said. “I believe that if we have some of those alumni come back to sponsor programs and donate money and we get some of our graduates into Fortune 500 companies maybe they’ll give us money back and we can perpetuate the system… We have one of the top business colleges in Michigan.”

Student government elections will be held from 8 a.m. March 24 until 8 p.m. March 25.