Women's soccer battles wind to tie Ohio University

Eagles’ senior forward Paige Sheridan (15) goes after the ball between two Bobcat players. In windy conditions, neither team was able to capitalize on any of their shots, which were often blown away from the goal with gusts of wind.

The Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer team tied its first Mid-American Conference home game, 0-0, against Ohio University on Friday.

Heavy gusts of winds disrupted play on both ends of the field.

“This is the second game here at home, and both times we’ve played we’ve had to deal with 30 mile-per-hour winds, it seems like,” EMU coach Scott Hall said.

From time to time, kicks that seemed to be on goal were put into play. The wind carried some shots away from the goalkeeper’s reach and into the area behind the net.

“It’s tough to play in these situations,” Hall said. “It doesn’t allow us to play like we want to, but it’s something both teams have to worry about, not just us.”

In the 83rd minute, an EMU attacker scored off a rebound, but an off-sides call nullified t
he goal.

EMU (3-5-2, 0-0-1 MAC) had seven shots on goal, while Ohio (3-3-2, 0-0-1) had three.

Hall started most of his eight freshmen Friday and said every game in the MAC is going to be just as tough as against Ohio.
“The conference is new to these young players,” Hall said. “Every game is a grind; no easy game at all. We need this experience. We need to get used to this level of play every day, every Friday and Saturday, every weekend.”

EMU’s all-time career saves record holder, Monique Budani, had another solid game. In one sequence, she saved three shots. The crowd, which included the EMU men’s and women’s swim teams, cheered in approval.

“It was refreshing seeing them out here cheering,” Hall said. “It was absolutely awesome. How can you not get excited to play?”

EMU is scheduled to play Akron (2-6, 0-0-1) 1 p.m. Sunday at Scicluna Field. Akron is coming off a 3-0 defeat of defending MAC champion Central Michigan last Friday.

By Terrell Carlton / The Eastern Echo
The Eagles’ first MAC conference game results in a 0-0 tied score after two rounds of overtime. EMU Coach Scott Hall cites the winds as a major difficulty both teams faced at Scicluna Field Saturday. Eight freshman were thrown in conference play this game.