Golf places 4th
The Eastern Michigan University men’s golf team traveled to Williamsburg, Va. for the C&F Bank Intercollegiate tournament from March 24-26. Due to snow, play was cancelled for both the 24th and 25th. They managed to get a full round in on the 26th, which counted for the tournament’s final scoring.
EMU came in at fourth place in the tournament. The team finished only three strokes behind Tennessee University, which finished the tournament in first place.
EMU’s Casey Olsen stands out as the player of the tournament. He earned his first career win and his second career top-10 finish. He scored a three under par and shares the tournament title with Cory Sciupider of Notre Dame University, who finished in a tie for fifth place.
The last time an Eagle won an individual title was in 2007, when Graham Hill took top honors. He won the Mid-American Conference championship that year as well.
EMU tournament scores:
• Olsen scored a 67 to finish in a tie atop the leader board; three under par.
• Stuart Grehan scored a 73 to finish in a tie for 48th place; three over par.
• Spencer Slade, Brian Churchill-Smith and Brett White all scored a 74 to finish in a tie for 70th
place; four over par.
The team will be on a short break before heading to Indiana on April 20 to compete in the two-day Boilermaker Invitational. This will be the team’s final regular season tournament.
Last year, EMU finished in 11th place while Indiana University won the tournament.
2012 Boilermaker Invitational results:
• Churchill-Smith finished in a tie for 41st place with a three-round score of 14 over par.
• Zach MacDougall and Olsen both finished in a tie for 45th place with three round scores of 16
• Derek East finished in a tie for 51st place with a three round score of 17 over par.
• Brian Burt finished in a tie for 55th place with a three round score of 19 over par.
Heading into the 2013 Boilermaker Invitational, EMU’s golf team is looking to move up from its 11th place back in 2012 as well as continuing its successful 2013 season.