The Fall Major Fest was an opportunity for students to expand, investigate and explore the diverse range of learning opportunities offered at Eastern Michigan University.
Fritz Grupe, founder of MyMajors.com, said 80 percent of college freshmen are unsure of a major when they begin school. Of that remaining 20 percent, half will change majors at least once before finally settling into a decision. Many people are choosing a college or university without an idea of what they wish to do for a career.
The Fall Major Fest, sponsored by the University Advising and Career Development Center, is one of the many events held on campus that assists returning students and freshmen in learning more about the multitude of options available to them.
Each booth represented a major or minor that students can apply for, and ranged from the sciences to additional “Learning Beyond the Classroom” courses offered throughout the school year. In total, the Fall Major Fest featured 42 areas of study found on EMU’s campus, including the Honors College.
Suzanne Zelnik Geldys, academic faculty member in the School of Health Promotion and Human Performance, talked with students about the multiple one credit opportunities found on campus each semester. These credits can be acquired by attending the many short-term instructional courses that are designed for overall and physical health and well being.
“These courses are perfect for those in such programs as nursing that work full time jobs off campus and attend school,” Geldy’s said.
Courses such as “Bully Proofing” will be offered in the winter 2015 semester. The two-day course will not only arm students in the dealing with of bullies, but complete the satisfying requirements for one credit hour in general education. Other PEGN courses to be offered this upcoming winter include Kendo sword fighting, “Club, Country and Multicultural Dances” and kundalini yoga.
Leah Davidson and Amanda Davis, graduate assistants for the Women’s and Gender Studies Department, were displaying the two minors offered currently at EMU. In addition to the minor offered in women’s and gender studies, the department is now offering a new minor, queer studies, that will include two core classes and electives.
The written communications department was set up answering a wide variety of questions for students.
“Design is the key word in communication as companies are infected with written communication,” said Steve Benninghoff, an assistant professor.
Assistant professor Derek Muller described the written communications program as key wherever writing shows up.
“The program is focused on writing but focused on a more general, practical implication,” Muller said. “Writing is found in a range of environments in workplace, industry and so on.”
Many of the displays showcased clubs, groups and organizations for students who are interested in subjects but don’t wish to fully pursue them as a career. The Astronomy Club is open to students of all majors and meets most Thursday evenings in the observatory. This gives students a chance to gaze into the night sky through EMU’s telescopes.
Many sciences can be found on campus and include programs such as physics, chemistry clinic lab sciences and computer science. Students may also pursue such disciplines as hotel and restaurant management, international affairs and theater arts. Booths displayed for such areas as the
Nonprofit Leadership Alliance, STEM and IESS allowed for even more exploration into studies.
Regardless of whether the EMU student is a returning adult seeking a career change or a recent high school graduate still searching for their major, there are many opportunities such as the Fall Major Fest for exploration and discovery. Such websites as mymajors.com offer thought-provoking quizzes to assist students in exploring their likes and talents. Students can check out the EMU event calendar at emich.edu/calendar for a list of all the upcoming on campus events similar to the Fall Major Fest as well as the listings for student clubs and organizations.
It's an opinion piece, you idiot.
Your takiya fools no one, budallah.
Another interesting read from the best writer The ...
Wow, Eastern. Personally, I normally applaud the Echo ...
How patronising, to say that it was the Virgin Mary's ...