Volunteer work: Put the ‘giving’ back in Thanksgivng
The season brings the spirit of being thankful but giving back to those in need. This month, volunteer around your city during these events and local centers to make someone’s holiday special.
Holiday Sharing Trees Setup
Monday, November 18 from 12:30-2:30 p.m. in the Student Center , room 346.
Spend your lunch hour setting up Angel Trees for Salvation Army and Ypsilanti Housing Commission. If you’re interested, contact Jasmia Camo-Biogradlija at 734-487-1313 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit emich.edu/vision/programs/green.php.
The event is LBC approved.
Donating a meal with VISION
Prizes will be involved and can be won in two ways:
1. Donate a full meal (minus the turkey). The first two people to donate a full Thanksgiving meal and bring it to VISION Volunteer Center, Student Center will receive a prize. Refer to the donation list below – only 1 of each item required. The event ends on Friday, November 15.
2. Come by VISION Volunteer Center office and sign up to help take the donations to SOS Community Services on Wednesday, November 20. The first two people to sign up to help will receive a prize.
VISION’s preferred donation items:
- canned vegetables (corn, green beans, etc.)
- canned fruit (pineapple, etc.)
- cranberry sauce
- pie filling/pie crusts
- sweet potatoes/yams & marshmallows
- macaroni & cheese
- boxed stuffing
- boxed mashed potatoes/julienne potatoes
- Bisquick/corn muffin mix
- fried onions
- cream of chicken/cream of mushroom soup
- chicken broth/vegetable broth
- new quart and gallon size Ziploc bags
Back Door Pantry?
Volunteers are needed every Monday (starting at 12:45 p.m. for 1-2 hours unboxing and unloading food) and Thursday (3-5 p.m. or 5-7 p.m. shifts for staffing of the pantry set-up and distribution to clients). Contact Judy via email at email@example.com or visit backdoorfoodpantry.org.
Food Gatherers exists to alleviate hunger and eliminate its causes in our community by reducing food waste through the rescue and distribution of perishable and non-perishable food, coordinating with other hunger relief providers, educating the public about hunger and developing new food resources. Contact Food Gatherers at 734-761-2796 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work in community gardens and greenhouses, youth and educational programs, as well as assistance with Downtown Ypsilanti Farmers’ Market (Tuesdays, May-Oct) and Winter Farmers’ Market (Tuesdays, Nov & Dec). Contact: 734-786-8401 or via email at email@example.com.
Neighborhood Senior Services
Services for seniors in Washtenaw County – companionship, grocery shopping, medical transportation, outdoor chores, office help, food delivery, ramp building and one-time events in spring and fall. Orientation required. Contact at 734-712-7259 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salvation Army (Washtenaw County)
Salvation Army provides an array of social services that range from providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter to the homeless and opportunities for the unprivileged children. Contact Salvation Army at 734-668-8353.
SOS Community Services
SOS is a nonprofit organization that serves homeless families and children and others in crisis in Washtenaw County. Contact SOS at 734-485-8730 or email@example.com.