New history course to be offered

Chuck Myers | Eastern Echo

Confederate and Union cavalrymen re-enactors cross swords during a cavalry battle re-enactment on the final day of commemorations for the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg at the Redding Farm in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania., Sunday, July 7, 2013. (Chuck Myers/MCT)

Last updated: 12/18/13 8:17pm

Eastern Michigan University will be offering a history course that involves an eight-day trip to several sites central in the American Civil War.

The Civil War and Reconstruction Tour, which will take place from April 29 to May 6, will allow students to walk historical battlefields and discuss aspects of the war. The course will be taught by professor Steven Ramold.

Notable sites on the trip will include Gettysburg, Penn., Hagerstown, Md., Washington, D.C. and Richmond, Petersburg, Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania, Va.

Transportation will be by bus and participants will be staying at several hotels in Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania.

To sign up, students can enroll in HIST 385/592. Classroom meetings for the course will take place on Jan. 24, Feb. 21 and March 28. The program fee is $880, which includes lodging, transportation, admission fees and some meals.

The deadline for registration is Jan. 10. For more information, contact Jen Short at 734-487-3229 or jen.short@emich.edu.

Published Dec 18, 2013 in News

Comments