News briefs, Jan. 18

Martin Luther King Day Breakfast

To kick-off MLK day, the free MLK breakfast will be from 8 to 9:30 a.m. Monday, Jan. 19, in room 300 of the Student Center. The breakfast will feature clips of Dr. King’s inspiring speeches to go along with the food and music.

MLK keynote address with Guest Speaker Dick Gregory

Dick Gregory is a leading civil and human rights activist, committed to nonviolent social change. Gregory will be speaking at 10 a.m. in the Student Center Auditorium. The event is free and open to the public.

MLK Academic Programs

As a part of the MLK celebration a variety of academic programs, such as panels, lectures and discussions, will be held from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 19, in the Student Center. For a complete list of the programs visit http://www.emich.edu/mlk/monday.php.

Close-Up Theatre Troupe

This year Close-Up Theatre Troupe will explore issues pertaining to our MLK theme, “Breaking the Illusion: The Movement Continues." There will be two showings at 2:45 p.m. and 4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 19, in the Student Center Auditorium. This event is LBC approved.

MLK Afterglow Celebration

Join the MLK Planning Committee and campus community as we celebrate the culmination of the 2015 MLK Day and honor two prominent social justice pioneers Judy Sturgis-Hill and Kay Woodiel as they prepare to retire from EMU. The event is from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday, Jan.19, in room 300 of the Student Center.

"Our Voices" Writing Workshop

The Women’s Resource Center is offering three workshops in January on how to write and perform a personal vagina monologue in preparation for the first performance of “Our Voices” coming in February. The workshop will be from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 20, in room 302 in Halle Library.

Can We All Get Along? Detroit, the Suburbs, and the State of Michigan Face an Uncertain Future

Lecture and Q&A with John Gallagher, Detroit Free Press journalist will be from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 20, in Pray Harrold room 201. Gallagher was co-author of the award-winning article, "How Detroit Went Broke" and writes regularly about neighborhoods and economic development in the Detroit area. This event is LBC approved.

Re-conceptualizing Gender Equity in the Academy

Erich Pitcher will be presenting his new research, "Re-conceptualizing Gender Equity in the Academy: Trans*Academics." The event will be from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 21, in room 300 of Halle Library. This lecture is part of the Equality Knowledge Project of the Equality Research Center. The event is LBC approved.

Planned Parenthood and The Reproductive Justice Movement

Join the Women's Resource Center for an informative discussion on the reproductive movement and how to get involved as a part of our Brown Bag Lunch Series. The Brown Bag Lunch will be from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 21, in room 300 of the Halle Library.