Regional art exhibition 'Dangerous Minds' displays advancement in art education

Eleventh grader, Anna Debiasi's, drawing called 'A Crying Girl.'

Now on view until Tuesday, May 19 in the Ford Gallery from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., EMU is presenting the Regional High School Art Exhibition, “Dangerous Minds.”

The exhibition is representational of the current direction, mindset and techniques of young artists today. Current themes and parallels that the exhibition explored included bullying, smoking, feminist ideas, technology, portraiture, nature, and still life.

“‘Dangerous Minds’ is by far my favorite show of this year,” said Taylor Coleman, a senior at EMU who was working in the Ford Gallery. “The talent and creativity that these students possess, and at that age is amazing. I can’t even draw a straight line.”

Some notable selections from the exhibition include Burin Hunter’s “Me, Myself and I,” a digital collage with trees on a record player. It was highly technologically-driven work.

Anna Debiasi, from the 11th grade class of Linderman in Plymouth Canton Educational District presented a charcoal and white chalk drawing called “Crying Girl.

A few students featured tea in their artwork. George Evan’s “Tea Pot,” “Creamer Bowl” and “Three Cups” from Pioneer High School was fantastic. Arkadia Perekelita showed “Tea Time,” a mixed media painting that utilized blossoms, actual tea, and ink.

me_myself_and_i_burin_hunter
By Afua Osei-Bonsu / The Eastern Echo

Twelfth grader, Burin Hunter's, digital collage called 'Me, Myself and I.'

One digital photograph, by Plymouth 11th grader Marissa Maldonado, called “The Amada Project,” depicted a young woman wearing a nose ring and leather jacket lighting up a crayon.

Feminist works stood out in the show as well, including Aubrey Keoman Harju’s “Not Your Play Thing” and Riley Stechschulte’s “Triple Standards” that showed three images of women. One was marked slut, the second was unbuttoning her shirt, and the third had tape over her mouth.

“Artwork that addresses controversial subject matter is fascinating to see in the context of high school artwork,” said Gregory Tom of EMU Galleries.

It was also noted that the exhibition marks a turning point and advancement in art education for local young people. Children at the Ann Arbor Art Center, for example, were constructing large toilet paper sculptures.