President Obama bids farewell

On Tuesday night, President Barack Obama gave his farewell address. His crowd was anxious, nervous, and passionate as they said goodbye to a President who has helped American through times of terrorism, economic decline and deprived rights. With an emotional sign off, he thanked his wife, Michelle, and his two daughters for being his biggest fans. But, President Obama didn’t forget the people that put him in the position.

“It has been the honor of my life to serve you. I won't stop; in fact, I will be right there with you, as a citizen, for all my days that remain” – President Obama (CNN Politics).

Many Democrats fear the incoming administration, and have asked President Obama multiple times to diminish the election outcome, but he won’t be giving that remorse. In multiple speeches, and interviews, the President has talked about the right to free elections, and how essential it is for us to let democracy do its part in government. With that said, he has not blatantly commented on the incoming administration, except for his reassurance of a smooth transition between administrations.

“The work of democracy has always been hard. It’s always been contentious. Somethings it’s been bloody. For every two steps forward, it often feels we take one step back.” – President Obama (White House).

The legacy of President Obama has been at risk, with Republicans trying to trash his legacy as President. Whether it was the affordable care act, or his foreign policy (Politico), they did not hold back. But the thing that Republicans chose to leave out is all his accomplishments. From saving a tanking economy, to influencing the protection of civil rights, the President has accomplished a lot. He made sure to mention that on Tuesday. Throughout his whole speech, he talked of the things him and his administration have accomplished in the past eight years.

Although he has accomplished much, he doesn’t deny that their is more work to be done. The middle class is still shrinking, and the rich are getting more wealthy. The two parties have become so ideologically different that they can’t come to compromise.

So, with the new administration coming in, remember the legacy that President Obama will leave behind, but also go into the new administration with an open mind. The new administration president-elect Trump has created could bring more jobs back to America, and make it a more independent superpower.