What is the Trans-Pacific Partnership?

President Trump signed an executive order to pull the U.S from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), Jan. 24. Although the executive order has been covered by the media, many don’t know what it is.

In a nutshell, the TPP was a deal between 12 nations in the Asian-Pacific region that would strengthened American economic relations between those countries. According to BBC, while in office, President Obama wanted to pull nations in the region and show America as an ally.

Throughout the presidential campaign, then candidates Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump called the deal terrible, saying it would cost millions of American’s jobs and would benefit corporate America and Wall Street.

“Bad trade deals like the proposed Transpacific Partnership are a major reason for the collapse of the American middle class and the increase in wealth and income inequality in the United States,” said Senator Sanders during his presidential campaign.

In a week called the “fulfillment of campaign promises,” President Trump signed an executive order pulling out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Now that we know what it is, why is so important that we left?

“The Trans-Pacific Partnership is another disaster done and pushed by special interests who want to rape our country — just a continuing rape of our country. It’s a harsh word, but it’s true,” stated Trump in late June.

With China on the rise economically, Obama wanted to reach out to Asian-Pacific countries to strengthen ties and pull them away from China and toward an American alliance. This would have been good for our country if we wanted to strengthen diplomatic ties, but in turn, kill American jobs.

With Trump’s message of “America first,” this political move showed Republicans and Democrats alike that he is serious about this message.

By moving our country in this direction so drastically, America may become an isolationist country once again. We have had a major role in international politics since the end of World War I and still have a large influence on the world’s economy, fight against terrorism and the United Nations.

By banning refugees, pulling out of the TPP and shooting down a meeting with the president of Mexico -- we can clearly see where the Trump administration will be going when it comes to foreign relations.