U.S. and Russia tensions rise over Flynn

Russian and U.S. tension has finally come to rest, at least without us knowing. Michael Flynn, national security advisor to President Trump, was asked to resign after misleading Vice President Pence and other White House officials about a conversation between Flynn and the Russian ambassador to the United States.

Like any good politician, President Trump tried to direct attention away from this story, by creating another story that would grab more ratings. He did this during his campaign, and will continue to do it throughout his presidency. He declared a war on the media, known as “fake news” and has continually denied knowing anything about communication between his administration and Russian officials. This comes after a suspicion that President Trump’s campaign was in communication with Russia, as well as the Russian hackings in November that aided WikiLeaks release of documents that hurt Clinton and helped Trump secure the presidency.

When Trump was confronted about the Russian hacking, he tried to dodge the question, by blaming the Democratic National Committee for not being able to prevent the hacking in the first place.

“Gross negligence by the Democratic National Committee allowed hacking to take place. The Republican National Committee had strong defense!” said Trump in a tweet following the hacking.

This all sounds like an episode of House of Cards, but its suspicion is true. The troubling part is that there is no hard evidence to prove any of this. Even if there was, Democrats would have a hard path, as Republicans would rather play politics than focus on our nation’s security. So, how do we piece together these accusations, and try to get some answers in Washington?

According to Survey Monkey, a majority of Americans support the idea of putting together a bipartisan committee to investigate Flynn’s actions. This may occur if news outlets keep researching into Flynn’s actions, but if the story dies out too early, the Republicans will begin to ignore the issue.

Recently, news outlets have talked about the importance of our national security and mainly focused on “President” Putin. Sources, such as Forbes and The Guardian,have talked about his history in persuasion and manipulation of government officials inside and outside his government. But we should be taking this matter a step further.

In the current global world, the United States and Russia are the two major powers that control relations and activities in the global landscape. We are always talking about the need for diplomacy, but we cannot give the Russian government any leeway to control our spot in the world.

The Chinese are rising economically, socially, and militarily, to a point where they may become a main world power. If we want to keep our stature in the world, we need to act forcefully when dealing with China and Russia. President Trump has talked about strengthening relations with Russia, but what good will that really do us in the future? According to the U.S. Department of State, we are currently trying to rebuild a strong diplomatic relationship with Russia.

“The United States has long sought a full and constructive relationship with Russia” is printed in the U.S. relations page on the secretary of state’s website

If we continue to play soft with Russia, who knows what sort of upper hand they may have on us in the future? If we want to continue to be the biggest superpower in the world, we need to stay above Russia economically, militarily, and culturally. We need to keep a larger influence over other countries below us, and continue to gain the support of our allies.