5 Events Happening in Metro-Detroit You Don’t Want to Miss
Summer is the perfect time to get out of the house with friends for a night on the town. Here are five popular events happening soon in the local metro-Detroit area.
1. [UNDER] Exhibition – This is an art exhibition where each artist created their own interpretations of the word ‘under’. It is displayed at the Scarab Club in Detroit ending on July 7, 2018. Gallery hours are Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. They will be holding a Gallery Talk on June 14 at 6p.m. The club is located at 217 Farnsworth Street, Detroit, Michigan. Admission is free.
2. The Detroit Sushi Festival – This sushi tasting fest is held at the Eastern Market on Russell Street, downtown. It’ll be held on June 16, from 6p.m. to 11 p.m. provided by Shamrock Events. This will be the first sushi fest ever held in the metro-Detroit area, hosted by various local culinary artists. Tickets start at $40 -- this includes 10 tickets usable for sushi picks, as well as souvenir chopsticks, live entertainment and more.
3. Play Ball: Baseball at the DIA – This exhibition was created in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Detroit Tigers’ win of the World Series in 1968. Visitors will be able to view famous limited-edition baseball cards as well as special baseball related artifacts from the E. Powell Miller collection. This exhibition will be available for viewing until September 16, 2018. Admission to the DIA is free for Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb county residents. The Institute is located at 5200 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan.
4. “Ghost Gardens” by Steven Simoncic – The Detroit Repertory theatre is performing this show Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings until July 1, 2018. According to their website, detroitreptheatre.com, “Ghost Gardens” storyline explores race, health, culture, and more, facing these trifles with humor and empathy. It also states Simoncic’s “Ghost Gardens was a semi-finalist for the 2015 Gobal Age Project at Aurora Theatre”. Tickets are available at their website.
5. Music of Harry Potter – This event will be presented by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO) at the Orchestra Hall located at 3711 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, on June 13 and 29, 2018, 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $19. All of the most memorable pieces by John Williams from the film “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” will be performed by the DSO.