His name is down in the books at the University of Michigan as the all-time leading rusher and is now in the books as an offensive quality control coach for Eastern Michigan University’s Football Team. On August 17, 2011 head coach Ron English announced Mike Hart will be joining the Eagles staff.

Hart comes to EMU from Indianapolis, Indiana where he spent three years on the roster of the NFL’s Colts. A sixth round draft pick, Hart carried the ball a total of 71 times in 21 games for the Colts over the course of three injury-plagued seasons. Last season, Hart gained 185 yards in just seven games.

Before his NFL career, Hart was a four-year starter for the Wolverines (2004-07) where he set school records for carries (1,015) and rushing yards (5,040). Hart scored a total of 41 touchdowns (third in U of M history) he ranks fourth all-time in the Big Ten Conference in career rushes and yards gained, while ranking 11th in touchdowns.

A 2006 and 2007 Doak Walker Award finalist, Hart finished fifth in Heisman Trophy voting in 2006. He broke onto the national scene in 2004, setting school freshman rushing records with 282 carries for 1,455 yards and nine touchdowns. The totals ranked as second highest single-season rushing total by a freshman in Big Ten history and he became just the third “true” freshman in conference history to lead the league in rushing, joining Ron Dayne (Wisconsin, 1996) and Darrel Thompson (Minnesota, 1986).

During Harts four years at Michigan, English was on the other side of the ball as Defensive Coordinator.

The Syracuse, N.Y. native graduated from Onondaga Central High School in 2004. While playing for the Tigers, Hart set the national career record for rushing touchdowns (204) and finished second in career rushing yards (11,045). Onondaga Central went 46–1 and won three state championships during his career.