The Eastern Michigan University football team was scheduled to kickoff its 2011 campaign against Howard University at 7 p.m. on Saturday, September 3. The players showed up, the coaches were there, the stands were filling up, but as of right now, we still don’t have score. The only person you can thank is Mother Nature.

While the teams were warming up the University of Michigan had a rain delay in Ann Arbor, and not too long after lightning was spotted around Rynearson Stadium. Players were immediately taken to the locker rooms and fans were advised to seek shelter.

Students and fans filled the neighboring Convocation Center as well as underneath the bleachers, singing the EMU fight song trying to keep spirits high and hoping for a contest at some point during the night.

After waiting two hours the coaches decided the latest they would be willing to kickoff was 9:45 p.m. Well, when lightning is spotted the teams must wait until the last lightning strike and a 30-minute delay is enforced from there. Not to mention there was 47:47 left on the warmup clock.

Things calmed down in Ypsilanti, however, a storm cloud was spotted about 15 minutes away, so the Stadium remained evacuated. Suddenly a black storm cloud covered Rynearson and just minutes later the coaches decided it would be best for the players if they postponed the game until noon Sunday.

With that, the EMU-HU season opener will now take place on Sunday, September 4 at noon. Admission will be free for all who come and the game will still feature two of the nation’s top bands.

The only remaining question is will the weather be any better by noon? Well in Michigan, you just never really know.