Walter Kraft, EMU’s VP of communications, just told me that the university has hired former Ann Arbor News columnist, and current AnnArbor.com columnist, Geoff Larcom as its executive director of media relations.

Update:

Here are some tidbits from the official EMU press release:

Veteran Ann Arbor journalist Geoff Larcom has been named Executive Director of Media Relations at Eastern Michigan University, pending approval by the Board of Regents. The announcement was made by Walter Kraft, vice president for communications. The appointment is effective September 21, 2009.

And:

Larcom has 26 years professional experience as an editor and reporter for print and online newspapers. Most recently he was columnist at annarbor.com. From 2000-2009, he was a reporter and columnist at The Ann Arbor News, primarily covering higher education, after serving as its sports editor for 12 years. His career also includes editorial positions at The Detroit News; Focus, a former campus newspaper at Washtenaw Community College; and The Michigan Daily.

“Having covered Eastern extensively over the years, I appreciate and respect its people and programs, along with its mission of focusing on students,” said Larcom. “This is a great opportunity to put my reporting and editorial experience to work
in a new and meaningful direction.

And:

Larcom’s late mother, Taffy, was a professor of journalism at EMU, teaching in the Pray-Harrold building shortly after it opened in 1969.

Larcom recently completed the prestigious Knight-Wallace Journalism Fellowship at the University of Michigan. He was one of 20 journalists from around the world selected for midcareer program that involves a year of academic study and travel. He also has been honored by the Associated Press and Michigan Press Association. He has a master’s degree in journalism and a bachelor’s degree in Political Science from the University of Michigan. Larcom lives in Ann Arbor with his wife Kristen. They have two children.

And finally:

His salary will be $84,000.