From Washtenaw County Public Health:

The Washtenaw County Public Health Department is intensifying H1N1vaccination efforts targeting high priority groups, as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC). A mass vaccination clinic for high priority groups is scheduled for Eastern Michigan University (EMU),
Convocation Center on Thursday, Nov 5th from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm. The Center is located at 299 North Hewitt Road, Ypsilanti MI 48197. All school-based clinics tentatively scheduled to begin next week are now cancelled. Public Health officials made this decision in consultation with area school superintendents. Parents are being notified of the change through their schools.

“Mass vaccination is the most efficient way of getting scarce vaccine into high priority populations,” says Dr. Diana Torres-Burgos, MD, MPH, Medical Director for Washtenaw County Public Health. “H1N1 vaccine is still limited to high priority groups, and we want to make that process as expedient and safe as possible.” Instead of offering H1N1 vaccine at school locations throughout the county, we are selecting a large, central location in order to speed up the process and reach those most at risk, she continued. Plans are already in place at Public Health to run mass vaccination clinics; however, limited and uncertain supplies of H1N1 vaccination have made activating plans problematic.

According to CDC guidelines, high priority groups eligible for H1N1 vaccine while supplies remain limited
include:
• Pregnant women
• Household and caregiver contacts of children younger than 6 months of age
• Children from 6 months though 4 years of age
• Children and adolescents aged 5 through 18 years who have medical conditions associated with a higher
risk of influenza complications
• Health care and emergency medical services personnel with direct patient care

Individuals within these priority groups should live, work or attend school in Washtenaw County. Specific documentation of underlying medical conditions is not necessary; health care and emergency services personnel should bring their employment identification.

While the larger venue will allow for ample parking and some sheltered waiting areas, all persons should be prepared to wait. They should bring food and water for themselves, if at all possible. Persons should also dress appropriately for the weather.

Tuesday evening’s H1N1 clinic at Washtenaw Intermediate School District provided H1N1 vaccine to nearly 1,000 high priority individuals. Public Health is anticipating approximately 4,000 doses will be available for next Thursday’s mass vaccination clinic at EMU Convocation Center. Additional staff and volunteers will be available to expedite the process.

“We appreciate the public’s patience with this ever changing situation,” says Richard Fleece, Health Officer for Washtenaw County Public Health. A clinic Tuesday evening at Washtenaw Intermediate School District drew long lines. Next week’s smaller school-based clinics are cancelled in favor of a mass vaccination clinic at a larger venue with ample parking and more space. “We hope opening a larger clinic will make receiving an H1N1 vaccination easier and more comfortable for our high priority groups,” continued Mr. Fleece.

As more H1N1 vaccine is received locally, there will be more opportunities to receive the vaccine from hospitals, health care providers and Public Health. Currently, Public Health anticipates increased H1N1 vaccine supplies will be available by the end of November.

From EMU:

The H1N1 flu vaccination clinic, scheduled at Snow Health Center today (Oct.. 29), has been canceled due to the lack of vaccine.

We are expecting additional doses of the H1N1 flu vaccine and 100 doses of seasonal flu vaccine soon and will notify the campus community by e-mail and EMU Today when the vaccines are available.