Auditions for the Musical “Guys and Dolls” will take place Tuesday the 24th from 3-6 p.m. and Wednesday the 25th from 6-9 p.m. in the Alexander Recital Hall.

Director Phil Simmons (Reefer Madness and Rocky Horror) is ecstatic for this up-coming process and encourages all to audition. Regardless of your major, Director Simmons hopes everyone who is interested applies.

“This perfectly illustrates the fact that theatre is for everyone,” he said. “Also, the wider the cross-section of experiences and sensibilities that a cast brings, the better the show. And let’s be honest, theatre is fun —- we do it because we love it. I can promise any student, regardless of his/her major, a really great time doing this show.”

If you have never tried out before have no fear for here are some words of encouragement from the director to you.

“First, there’s no need to be scared about auditioning for us,” Simmons said. “My colleagues are among the kindest theatre professionals you’ll ever meet. Also, we really do want those who audition to do well — to make a good showing. So, if you come audition for us, you’re going to be surrounded by support and encouragement!”

Those applying must have two contrasting 16-bar (about 20-second) selections in the style of the show. Examples of contrasting pieces would be jolly songs like “Oom-Pah-Pah” (Oliver) and “Popular” (Wicked) versus the mellow “I Know Where I’ve Been” (Hairspray) or “There are Worse Things I Could Do” (Grease).

All auditions must be done with sheet music and no a Capella auditions are accepted. Sheet music for “Guys and Dolls” can be found in 103 Quick and is allowed for auditions. If acting is not your cup of tea come to auditions anyway and apply for one of the many crew jobs. Take your pick from building sets, doing sound, costumes, make up, props, lights or projections.

“First and foremost, I want people with ability — actors, singers, dancers. I’m also looking for students who are fearless, meaning that he/she will be willing to take a chance with regard to creativity. The fearless factor is also important for this show in particular because there’s nothing subtle about it. I’m going to need actors who can go right over the top with any direction I give.”

“Guys and Dolls” is a 1940s comedy infused with women and gambling and will make anyone want a little bit of luck with the roll of the dice. In 1955 this hit was made into a movie starring legends Frank Sinatra playing Nathan Detroit and Marlon Brando as Sky Masterson leaving audiences awestruck.

But director Simmons said it best: “Where else you can find tender-hearted gangsters, a ballet danced by toughs in a sewer and Salvation Army folks falling in love with mob bosses? There’s also no way you can listen to ‘Take Back Your Mink,’ ‘I’ll Know,’ ‘Adelaide’s Lament,’ ‘More I Cannot Wish You’ and of course ‘Guys and Dolls’ without tapping your toes or grinning from ear-to-ear —- it’s impossible.”