Autism is a developmental disability that occurs in children as young as three years old. Autism affects children in three crucial areas: social interaction, behavior, and language. This commonly results in children being withdrawn, lacking social skills or having behavioral problems.

According to the website for autism advocacy group Talk About Curing Autism, “Autism currently affects 1 in every 88 children today. It is estimated there are over 1 million people in the United States alone with autism.”

This month, the Eastern Michigan University community joined the global initiative “Light It Up Blue,” by wearing blue and lighting landmarks with blue light for autism awareness.

The Ypsilanti Water Tower was among many historical sites around the world to be illuminated in blue. Other landmarks included the Empire State Building in New York, the Sydney Opera House in Australia and Niagara Falls in Ontario, Canada.

A total of 28,397 people have participated in this awareness campaign according to information from autism advocacy group Autism Speaks.

As a part of the awareness campaign, Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc. will be having a campus-wide event called “March for Autism.” The event will take place at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 11.

B.L.A.C.K. and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. Xi Chapter are among the organizations that will participate.

The event will feature a step show among other festivities.

Those interested in participating are asked to meet at outside the Eastern Eateries before the event begins. All campus and community organizations are welcome to join. Wearing organizations’ shirts or displaying signs is also encouraged.