Grease fire closes Wendy's in Student Center

 

A grease fire happened at around 1 p.m. Friday in the Wendy’s kitchen in the Student Center at Eastern Michigan University.

Captain Dan Kain of the Ypsilanti City Fire Department said cooking oil from the deep fryer spilled onto a nearby grill and ignited the fire. The cooking hood above the fire helped contain it and keep it from spreading farther.

Cara Lampkins, an EMU student and Wendy’s employee working in the area said she informed her manager about it, and he put water on it, causing the fire to get bigger. After that they used a fire extinguisher to try to put out the flames. When that didn’t work, they pulled the fire alarm and called the fire department.

According to an EMU Department of Public Safety officer, there were no people injured. Wendy’s will reopen as soon as it is approved by the Washtenaw County Health Department. They are taking this precaution because a fire extinguisher was used to put out the 2 to 3-feet tall flames.

Kain said the damages include all the food exposed to the smoke. The monetary amount in damages has not been established.