In a campus-wide email sent out by the Office of the President this morning, Eastern Michigan University President Susan Martin informed students and employees of several important internal and external developments.

Governor Snyder’s FY13 budget proposal was discussed first. Martin said Eastern has performed well in the four areas of Snyder’s performance formula, however, she criticized Snyder’s evaluation of tuition restraint.

“It focuses on next year’s tuition levels and does not account for past performance,” she said.

Martin briefly discussed Snyder’s proposals for an autism insurance coverage and for $446,200 for Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System.

Martin informed students and employees that House Bill 4496, which would permit baccalaureate degrees at community colleges, has passed the Michigan House of Representatives and is alive in the Senate until December 2012. Continuing her outspoken opposition to the bill, Martin said EMU will “work hard to prevent it passing the Senate and being enacted.”

The end of Martin’s email discussed EMU’s budget.

The university is currently operating with $3 million less than what it had previously projected. Martin called this “a manageable amount representing about one percent of our annual budget.”

Martin said the university is seeking savings and additional revenues to balance the budget. Some of these savings included attrition, administrative consolidation in several areas and the closing of EMU-Flint.

Martin briefly explained organizational changes being made in the administration.

Enrollment Management, which includes Admissions, Financial Aid, Records and Registration, Service EMU, Veteran Services as well as the Office of International Students will move to Academic Affairs and report to the Provost.

“This is a common organizational structure at many universities and ensures that the Provost and her team are accountable,” Martin said.

Bernice Lindke, who is currently vice president of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, will now be vice president of Student Affairs and will continue to lead student life, student well-being and student services/business operations.

Alumni Relations will move to the Division of Communications and report to Communications Vice President Walter Kraft.

“This will provide more support for strong communications with alumni to engage them in campus activities and initiatives,” Martin said. “The Division of Communications with Alumni Relations will continue to support the fundraising activity of the Foundation.”

Martin stressed that there are no layoffs planned in enrollment management or alumni relations.