According to an article published by Great Lakes Echo on September 3, Michigan is one of the five Great Lakes States that rank in the top ten states for highest numbers of farmers markets and Eastern Michigan University students can easily join in shopping at these eco-friendly supplements to the traditional supermarket.

Michigan’s diverse agriculture ranks second in the country. The unique and varied micro-climates throughout the state allow for the production of over 125 different food and fiber products.

And although manufacturing still brings in the most money, agriculture is the second largest industry in Michigan, contributing $37 billion annually, according to the USDA- Farm Service Agency.

Given these facts, it is no wonder that farmers markets have grown throughout the state.

Farmers markets have grown in popularity for many reasons. First of all, buying food from local farmers help to support local economies. Farmers markets give us an easy, convenient place to get local food. The food bought at farmers markets also tend to be fresher. And unlike food from many supermarkets, the produce is transported locally, usually within 100 miles.

Because the food is not transported as far as it would be to get to traditional supermarkets, farmers markets are also healthier for the environment. Not as much fossil fuels are burned transporting the food, if the food is traveling a shorter distance.

Eastern students can easily become more environmentally friendly as well as support our local economy by shopping at farmers markets.

Ypsilanti is home to two farmers markets, according to the city’s website. The first, Downtown Ypsilanti Farmers Market, runs from 2-6 p.m. every Tuesday through Oct. 26 and is located on Ferris Street. Some of the products available include cheeses, baked goods, fresh fruit, meat and vegetables.

The Ypsilanti Depot Town Farmers Market is held from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday through Oct. 30 and is located in Depot Town. More information can be found on their Facebook page.

Ann Arbor also has its own farmers market located in the Kerrytown District, on Detroit Street that is open year-round. During May through December, the Ann Arbor Farmers Market is open 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays. From January through April, the market is open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays.

For more information on farmers markets, or to look for one in another area, visit http://apps.ams.usda.gov/FarmersMarkets/ .