Jess J. Salisbury

Recent articles

U.S. Air Force band, choir performs at Pease

|

When the average person hears the word “military,” the typical mental image is one of fighter jets, tanks and artillery. But one aspect of the United States Armed Forces that tends to go overlooked are the men and women armed with trombones and drumsticks.

Current student body Vice President full of ambition

|

Nino Monea, current student body vice president and graduating senior, could be described as a man of many suits. “I think the way you portray yourself is really important,” Monea said. “By dressing professionally, all of your colleagues, professors, faculty are just going to give you a little more respect than if you show up looking shabby.”

Residence hall prices to rise 4 percent

|

Eastern Michigan University’s Board of Regents approved a 4 percent increase in the university residence halls’ room and board rates for the 2014-15 academic year at its regular meeting Tuesday. The increase is designed to pay for increased food costs, deferred maintenance expenses and a future plan to upgrade residence halls and dining facilities.

Letter from the Editor

|

My days as editor-in-chief of The Eastern Echo are officially numbered. News editor Nora Naughton is poised to gradually take over the position in the next few weeks, which is pretty cool considering that anyone who knows her knows the paper will be in good hands.

Protesters of EAA make their voices heard at Board of Regents meeting

|

Protestors of the Education Achievement Authority of Michigan voiced their oppositions at the Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents meeting Tuesday afternoon.

Board of Regents Subcommittee Briefs

|

Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents round-up for March 25.

Professor, arts organization team up for climate change-themed art competition

|

Art and nature intersect in AMP!’s newest project, “The Elapsing City,” a public art contest themed around climate change.

Hustle Your Heart Out gives EMU community a groovy workout

|

Heart-shaped balloon-adorned tables were scattered across Eastern Michigan University’s Student Center Ballroom on Tuesday night, but hardly any seats were occupied.

What message do we send children with autism?

|

When I was a kid, getting those dreaded vaccinations was a rite of passage, like a bar mitzvah or quinceañera if you replaced all the dancing and food with needles. Everyone went through it – it was just a part of growing up. But according to a U.S. News article published in 2012, fewer and fewer children are receiving those shots, as the number of parents who opted their kids out of the required vaccines rose between the years of 2005 and 2012.

EMU student Bianca Bepler drowned after car plunges into Ohio creek

|

Eastern Michigan University student Bianca Bepler was killed seconds after crashing her car into a creek in Oregon, Ohio, as reported by the Toledo Blade. An autopsy performed on Monday revealed that Bepler had no significant injuries and died from drowning.

Student petitions EMU to teach sign language

|

Between 500,000 and 2,000,000 use American Sign Language, according to a study from the Gallaudet University, a private university that specializes in teaching the deaf. Despite teaching a variety of foreign languages and having a well-respected special education program with a hearing impairment program, EMU does not currently teach any ASL courses.

Underground vault repairs expected to be finished by mid-March

|

Workers have been performing ongoing repairs on an underground vault on a tunnel near McKenny Hall.

ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Michigan University students share their best, worst dates ever

|

The plush pink holiday known as Valentine’s Day is a time for celebrating the strange and sometimes uncomfortable human mating ritual of dating.

EMU student threatened Wednesday afternoon

|

An Eastern Michigan University student was assaulted Wednesday afternoon on the corner of Emmet and Normal streets, in the area just couth of campus. No one was injured during the incident.

EMU lecturers receive layoff notices

|

For years, Pam Olech has been one of Eastern Michigan University’s many full-time lecturers in charge of observing and advising student teachers. But her position has been threatened due recent layoffs within the EMU College of Education.

EMU Student Government prepares for spring elections

|

Eastern Michigan University students seeking a way to get more involved in the campus community have the chance to have their voices heard. Student Government is now accepting applications for the positions of president and vice-president, and student senators.

Physical Plant addresses icy roads, walkways

|

The Eastern Michigan University Physical Plant explained the challenges it faced in keeping the campus roads and sidewalks ice-free this winter via an email sent to the EMU community on the evening of Friday, Feb.

BREAKING: No classes on Tuesday

|

Eastern Michigan University announced via email and text alert that all classes are cancelled for Tuesday, Jan.

Gamers for Giving to be held at Student Center

|

Get your game on for a good cause as part of Gamers for Giving, a tournament and party that will be held in the Eastern Michigan University Student Center Ballroom.

MLK events draw crowd, remind students of legacy

|

He had a dream, and more than 50 years after the legendary speech, the United States continues to remember a man whose legacy is so enduring, he is one of only three individuals with a national holiday named in his honor.

Recent posts

This Friday: Free journalism workshop with Geoff Larcom

|

Always wanted to be a journalist but never knew where to start? Join Eastern Michigan University’s director of media relations and former Ann Arbor News writer Geoff Larcom (yes, THAT Geoff Larcom) for a free informative workshop on the basics of journalism.

News Writing 101 with Echo alum Krystal Elliott

|

Are you new to The Eastern Echo? Are you an Echo veteran wanting to hone your skills? Have you always wanted to be a journalist but weren’t sure where to begin?

Create beauty with Cellar Roots

|

Be a part of Eastern Michigan University’s annual juried art and poetry showcase. Come to the Student Center Kiva Room at 4 p.m.

Broken piano awaits smashing

|

Outside of the Alexander Music Building, a lonely W.W. Kimball grand piano somberly enjoys its final day.

Recent media

jesshustle2
sharing_tree
prayharrold
photo

photo

jennifer_niswender

Powered by powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News