Jess J. Salisbury

Articles (42 total)

Beyond the binary: Speaker talks about living as a transgender person in the U.S.

A large crowd of students gathered in the Quirk Sponberg Theatre for a frank discussion on gender as part of Beyond the Binary. The event  featured speaker Noelle, who is transgender, was held Tuesday and was organized by professor Danielle Ensch,. Noelle provided insight on the role of gender in society, highlighting the differences between cultures.

EMU goes to the dogs

Eastern Michigan University students took a moment to paws – er, pause – and de-stress with the help of a friendly furry friend as part of Wellness Woof Wednesday. Bindi, an Australian Shepherd, along with her trainer, Barbara Reed, captivated a crowd of students at the Snow Health Center by performing tricks and spreading puppy love on Wednesday evening.

Students meet and greet campus police

The Eastern Michigan University Department of Public Safety invited students to meet and mingle with their officers on Tuesday afternoon as part of an effort to break down the barriers between the police and the community.

Students for Life tackle abortion in Halle Library

Eastern Michigan University students, faculty and community members gathered in Halle Library for, “A Woman’s Choice?”, a panel discussion on the topic of abortion presented by Right to Life of Michigan and EMU Students for Life.

EMU Geospatial researcher awarded $1.5 million grant

Eastern Michigan University’s Yichun Xie will be helping to put new learning opportunities on the map for Michigan middle school and high school students. Xie, director of the Institute for Geospatial Research and Education and a computer modeling expert, was awarded $1.5 million from the National Science Foundation to work with 120 teachers from around the state.

Two Michigan Senators attend WRC panel on Human Trafficking

Senators Rebekah Warren and Judy Emmons joined Eastern Michigan University's Officer Cathy Wilman and social work instructor David Manville Wednesday night for a panel on human trafficking held by the EMU Women's Resource Center in the Student Center.

U.S. Air Force band, choir performs at Pease

When the average person hears the word “military,” the typical mental image is one of fighter jets, tanks and artillery. But one aspect of the United States Armed Forces that tends to go overlooked are the men and women armed with trombones and drumsticks.

Current student body Vice President full of ambition

Nino Monea, current student body vice president and graduating senior, could be described as a man of many suits. “I think the way you portray yourself is really important,” Monea said. “By dressing professionally, all of your colleagues, professors, faculty are just going to give you a little more respect than if you show up looking shabby.”

Residence hall prices to rise 4 percent

Eastern Michigan University’s Board of Regents approved a 4 percent increase in the university residence halls’ room and board rates for the 2014-15 academic year at its regular meeting Tuesday. The increase is designed to pay for increased food costs, deferred maintenance expenses and a future plan to upgrade residence halls and dining facilities.

Letter from the Editor

My days as editor-in-chief of The Eastern Echo are officially numbered. News editor Nora Naughton is poised to gradually take over the position in the next few weeks, which is pretty cool considering that anyone who knows her knows the paper will be in good hands.

Media