MBR

Ramen done right: Easy ways to spice up this dorm room staple

Campus living is hard. Campus eating is harder.

In response, I have put together a few suggestions to improve your eating plans. Though hotplates are not allowed in the dorms, you can use the kitchens on the first floors or electric kettles to speedily boil water.
There are also little tricks and recipes for spicing up all your traditional college dishes.

Today’s topic: ramen. Ramen noodles are a basic food group for the average college student, much like fruit. Don’t like the flavor packets that come with ramen noodles? Try mixing them with a little bit of seasoning salt, pepper or Alfredo sauce. The best Alfredo sauce is rumored to belong to Bertolli, but Three Brothers Alfredo sauce and Ragu have sufficient taste for less.

Putting a little water in your batch of finished ramen will cool the noodles down and wet them so they are not dry after the water has evaporated once drained.

Another mixture is hot sauce over cooked ramen with a slice of cheese on top. Let the cheese melt. Pepper jack and American cheese work well with this recipe.

French Onion ramen is made by mixing ramen with beef packet flavoring after the noodles are cooked. Add the onion seasoning, then place a slice of Swiss cheese over it and place it in a microwave until the Swiss cheese is melted. Again, adding a little water to your ramen will keep it from drying out.

To make quick spaghetti, put some tomato sauce in a bowl of cooked ramen. If you have a burger on hand you can break it up and mix it in. For those without the time and means to cook ramen, just throw a flavor pack over uncooked ramen and eat the noodles like chips. I have heard from some this is delicious.

There are many other ways to prepare ramen noodles. I have never thought of ramen as a soup but rather as a pan noodle dish, so remember any time you cook your ramen and drain it you have the basics for nearly any noodle dish.