Gymnastics team finishes regular season with win over Ball State

Eastern Michigan freshman Kelsie Brooks gets ready to perform on the beam in the Eagles 195.925-194.600 loss to Central Michigan Friday night.

The Eastern Michigan University women’s gymnastics team won its season finale on Friday beating Ball State University 194.075-193.600.

EMU was led on the vault by Bianca Jordaan and Anna Willette, who tied for second in the event with 9.750. Paulina Miller took fourth in the event with a 9.700.

Kelsie Brooks and Ariyanna Smith both scored 9.700 to lead the Eagles on the bars and took fourth in the event. Ashley Quinton also contributed with a 9.675.

Willette also led EMU on the beam with a 9.800, but as a team, EMU struggled in the event. Kaylee Meyers and Carrina Lo Bello did both finish with over a 9.700, but Kimberly Ebeyer and Natalie Gervais only scored 9.650 and 9.375, respectively.

The floor was where EMU really picked up the scoring. EMU as a team scored a season-high 49.025 and three out of the five qualifying scores were above a 9.800.

Chantelle Loehner and Meyers tied for first place in the event with scores of 9.850.

Miller came in third of the event with a 9.800 followed by Shawna Ciaramella and Ebeyer with a 9.775 and a 9.750 respectively.

The Eagles finish the regular season at 6-9 and 2-4 in the Mid-American Conference. They will participate in the MAC Championships on Saturday, March 22 at the EMU Convocation Center.

Ball State finishes 2-12 overall and 0-6 in the MAC.

EMU head coach Steve Wilce was pleased after the match with his team’s performance.

“Our kids competed well again and are really excited to get a MAC road win,” Wilce said after the meet on EMUEagles.com.