Chris Kaufman

EMU announces alumni, entrepreneur as graduation speaker

Eastern Michigan University on April 18 announced Chris Kaufman as the keynote speaker for both graduation ceremonies on Saturday, April 27.

Kaufman attended EMU and graduated in 2007 with a Bachelor's in fine arts and graphic design. In 2016, he launched StockX, a Detroit-based online sneaker resale site, along with Dan Gilbert, Josh Luber, and Greg Schwartz. The site is now a global e-commerce platform that is worth $3.8 billion.

Read More: From sketching to sneakers, how EMU alumni Chris Kaufman co-founded StockX

“It's about weaving the rich tapestry of EMU's history, values, and traditions into a vision that propels graduates forward,” Kaufman said in a statement with EMUToday. “This university is an intersection of diversity, innovation, and resilience, and this is a moment to challenge, celebrate, and ignite the indomitable spirit of the Eagles, reminding them that their journey is just beginning and that the path they carve from here can change the world.”

Kaufman is still active with EMU today as he is a member of the Advisory Board at GameAbove and was awarded Alumni Entrepreneur of the Year by the College of Business's Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. 

Kaufman expressed his excitement and gratitude to the university administration for selecting him as the upcoming speaker on LinkedIn

"I'm thrilled that I'll be serving as the commencement speaker for the Eastern Michigan University Class of 2024. It's an incredible honor to have been chosen to celebrate the success of these bright minds as they embark on the next chapter of their lives," Kaufman said in a post.

The morning ceremony will start at 9:30 a.m., and the afternoon ceremony will start at 1:30 p.m. at the George Gervin GameAbove Center, 799 N. Hewitt Rd. in Ypsilanti. According to EMUToday, more than 1,700 students are eligible to participate in the current spring commencement.