Smoke in clinical lab evacuates Marshall

Everett L. Marshall Building was evacuated around 10:30 a.m. Monday after smoke in the clinical lab on the first floor set off alarms. There are no reports of injuries or major damages.

The Ypsilanti Fire Department inspected the clinical lab, and found that the smoke originated from a water still that was running on empty and overheated.

The damages were contained to the water still, said Ypsilanti Fire Captain Richard Barnarbo.

Graduate student Megan Scott was in the clinical science lab when the water still started smoking.

"It started smoking, and we thought it might be steam but it smelled electric," she said.

The building was reopened around 11:15 a.m., and classes for the day will continue as scheduled. Kevin Abbasse, Marshall's structural life systems safety manager, said the water still was being serviced at the time the building reopened.

The clinical lab was still not open at the time this article was published, but Barnarbo said it would not be closed for long.


Comments powered by Disqus