Eastern Michigan University President Susan Martin released an April update detailing “initial actions” the university plans to take — such as implementing a pay freeze for the 2011-2012 fiscal year for all employees not under union contract — in response to Governor Rick Snyder’s proposed 15 percent reduction in state funding.

“We have been intensely reviewing the 2011-2012 budget and are prepared to begin rolling out some of our preliminary plans,” Martin said in the update addressed to faculty and staff. “I say preliminary because it is important to note that the items and plans presented today are only the beginning of the comprehensive process we have outlined previously.”

The initial actions would affect the 2011-2012 budget and include the elimination of cell phone reimbursements, with possible exceptions related to safety, security and contractual considerations; required presidential approval for all international travel and honorariums; continued presidential approval to fill open positions; and strategic divisional savings assessments.

Martin unveiled these actions during a meeting with the all-union council, which represents every union on EMU’s campus.

The president said the university plans to use certain principles to guide the budget process such as: resource allocation focused on growth and momentum; prioritizing academic quality and campus safety; investing in aging facilities; participation and ownership of need to reduce expenditures significantly; and ensuring the budget is structurally balanced and sustainable.

Martin said the next budget forum — which is scheduled for 10-11 a.m. Wednesday, May 4, in the Student Center Auditorium —- will discuss the steps in further detail along with any updates.