Are you in the 46 percent?

College is a time of exploration for many students. A time for discovering who you are, experimenting with different lives, different people and sexuality.

While most of us have endured those awkward conversations concerning contraception with our parents or in a classroom full of other students, the general consensus seems obvious: Contraception is important.

Using contraception not only protects against sexually transmitted diseases, but also against conceiving a child, both of which could greatly affect a college student’s life.

The idea of birth control in its many forms seems unanimously important, yet only 54 percent of college students consistently use condoms during intercourse according to The National Health Assessment Survey. That means the other 46 percent do not use them consistently or at all.

If only 54 percent of students are using condoms, how many STD’s are wandering around campus?

For most students the idea of contracting a disease was enough for them to use at least one method of contraception. Ryan, a senior though again pointed out that contraceptives are not just imperative for preventing diseases, but also in preventing the conception of a child.

“Sure, children sound great one day,” said one male senior, “but it would be really hard while I am still going to school.”

A child or a sexually transmitted disease could really make the college education that we are all pursuing hard.

Condoms are readily available for purchase at countless local stores and even for free in the Snow Health Center. So what’s up with that other 46 percent? Are they just all not having any kind of sexual relations, or are they just hoping to get lucky and only hook up with those in the 54 percent?

Practicing safe sex should spark your interest just because you don’t want to get pregnant while in school. Protect yourself to protect your life. It only takes one time to get a sexually transmitted disease that could be incurable.


Comments powered by Disqus