Moving the ball

EMU women's basketball finalizes 2019-20 roster

The Eagles will return with 11 players, including four starters, from last year.

Eastern Michigan University’s Women’s Basketball team has an updated roster going into the 2019-20 season. The current 14-player roster consists of two freshmen, one transfer and 11 returning players. The Eagles picked up freshmen guards Aaliyah Stanley and Constance Chaplin in the off season.

Stanley, from Florida, participated in basketball at Oxbridge Academy prior to her commitment to Eastern Michigan. The Ohio native, Chaplin, played basketball at Euclid High School before coming to Ypsilanti. She helped lead her high school team to the Division I sectional during her final season. Chaplin finished her high school career with a program-record 1,619 points. She will be reuniting with former high school teammate, RayJon Harris.

Ce’Nara Skanes transferred to EMU from Florida International University and will be joining as a sophomore with three more years of eligibility. However, because of the NCAA transfer rules, she will not be able to participate until the 2020-21 season. During her time with FIU, Skanes participated in all 29 games and started 16 games. She averaged close to a double-double with 8.6 points and 8.1 rebounds. She also led the team in field goal percentage. Skanes will also be reuniting with a former teammate of hers, Areanna Combs.

Forwards RayJon Harris and Jabria Knight will be returning to suit up for the Eagles in November, along with centers Autumn Hudson and Kiara Johnson. Hudson is returning for her third season with the Eagles. The remaining returners are all guards as Corrione Cardwell, Natalia Pineda, Jenna Annecchiarico, Areanna Combs, Lewis, Juanita Agosto and Toyosi Abiola.

Annecchiarico averaged 8.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game in her freshman campaign last year. Her backcourt mate, Cardwell, put up an impressive 13.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. The only starter that won’t be returning is Danielle Minott, who graduated after playing two years at Eastern Michigan. Minott averaged a team-high 15.1 points in the past two seasons.

A reporter at the Echo reached out to EMU Media Relations but no one from the team was made available for comment.

The Eagles season begins on Nov. 5 at Michigan State.