Last September the Eastern Michigan University women’s basketball team self-reported NCAA violations. Almost a year later, the team has a received a Notice of Inquiry, the NCAA’s formal way to inform the team that it is opening an investigation.

The team self-reported four violations found during an internal investigation that was called into action by the EMU Compliance Office after information was given by a student athlete.

The athletics department took immediate action and consequences were handed out. Among those were a one-month suspension of head coach AnnMarie Gilbert, an indefinite suspension of assistant coach Darin Thrun, who accepted a job at Saginaw Valley State in May of this year, as well as salary freezes for Coach Gilbert and the remaining coaching staff.

The team was also given recruiting restrictions for two years along with reduced practice time during those seasons.

As noted by the NCAA, a Notice of Inquiry can be issued out under three circumstances: they receive information indicating possible intentional violations have occurred, a significant competitive or recruiting advantage has been gained, or the institution or enforcement staff has been given false or misleading information.

From there, the NCAA proceeds with the investigation, conducting interviews with all individuals involved as well as outside sources. The time frame for these investigations can vary depending on the violation and the amount thereof.

Last season the Eagles finished a record-breaking season with a mark of 24-13 and went to the third round of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament where they fell 72-63 to Syracuse University.