Columbia's problems outlined by Franco

Human rights activist Father Jesús Alberto Franco spoke Tuesday in McKenny Union Hall about the conflict in Columbia, his native country. Franco is executive secretary of Columbia’s Inter-church Justice and Peace Commission as well as a priest.

Franco’s U.S. speaking tour is organized by Witness for Peace, a politically-independent, grassroots organization committed to nonviolence in Latin America.

During the discussion, Franco explained the complexity of the problems facing Columbia and informed the audience of the reality of the situation.

One factor Franco pointed out was the natural resources of the country. Franco explained that the economic inequality in Columbia is largely attributable to the demand for control of land.

“Columbia is one of the countries with the greatest land disparity and the greatest injustice and disrespect,” Franco said. “Control of the land is one of the reasons for the systematic human rights violations being committed in Columbia.”

Another issue Franco raised during his presentation was the relationship between paramilitaries and the Columbian government.

Franco informed the audience of the history of insurgents and guerrilla movements in the country, as well as the government reactions to these rebel movements.

“These movements confront the state for reasons that they consider the state unjust, and the government confronts guerrillas both legally and illegally,” Franco said.

Many of the illegal confrontations Franco referred to came from the use of paramilitaries.

“The relationship between militaries and paramilitaries is silenced by the government, and this relationship is responsible for thousands of assassinations and the displacement of thousands of Columbians,” Franco said.

Franco also talked about the interests of corporations and the relationship between companies and paramilitaries, which has caused massive displacement in the country.

“Land is the central theme of the conflict and it is not only used for agricultural production, but also large-scale business interests,” he said. “Immediately after large displacements of communities, large corporations take over the land. Life is being destroyed on a massive scale by small economic interests.

Although the issue of corporate interests contributing to human rights abuses in Columbia has not been a headline news story in recent years, Franco explained it has been well-documented and cited some historic examples.

“International authorities have proven how corporations have used paramilitaries to displace villages,” Franco said. “Chiquita Brands is one example. [Chiquita Brands] admitted responsibility of financing paramilitaries and paid a $25 million penalty while Columbians displaced live under the same conditions since being displaced.”

Along with presenting the facts about the problems facing Columbia, Franco told the audience about some of the positive activities happening in the country to bring peace and justice.

“Communities are not just victims, they are creating nonviolent alternatives for life,” he said.

Some of the nonviolent alternatives include increasing awareness and the creation of humanitarian and biodiversity zones.

“The regions with the most biodiversity in the world have been essentially erased,” he explained. “We want to conserve and rebuild areas that were destroyed.”

The work being done to improve Columbia has had a tremendous impact, but Franco was careful to point out there are still human rights abuses and injustices occurring today in the country.

“A report came out after the new Columbian administration’s first 75 days and there are still assassinations of members of labor unions,” Franco said.

“False witnesses have been used paid by businesses that have victimized communities. The new administration has new language, new rhetoric, but the same problems exist as before.”