Streak ends

EMU baseball's winning streak shattered

The Eastern Michigan University baseball team went 1-2 over the weekend after having their 11-game win streak halted by Northern Illinois University.

EMU is now 31-17 on the season (13-8 MAC); the Huskies advanced to 24-22 (12-9 MAC). The Eagles are now tied for second place in the MAC West Division, holding the same record as the University of Toledo.

The Eagles opened their weekend with a 4-3 loss to NIU on Friday. The loss broke EMU’s 11-game win streak, which was tied for the longest win streak in the nation as well as coming in second for the longest streak in program history.

Both starting pitchers allowed early runs before settling into a groove. After walking the leadoff hitter in the ninth, Robert Wendzicki was lifted in favor of closer Kristian Calibuso. A sacrifice bunt advanced the runner to second. Jones then doubled to the left to drive in Jamison Wells and give NIU the 4-3 edge.

The Eagles were led by Zack Leonard and Sam Ott, each turning in two hits in three plate appearances. Brent Ohrman also chipped in, driving in pair runs. Wendzicki turned in his fifth loss of the year, as he went 8.0 innings, allowing 12 hits and four runs while striking out eight.

Jeff Zimmerman had a pair of solo home runs for NIU, while Alex Jones drove in a pair, including the deciding run in the ninth. Zach Oates took the win for the Huskies, allowing three runs in eight innings.

Saturday, in game two of EMU’s three-game series with the Huskies, the Eagles took a 1-0 victory after a single from Tucker Rubino, which plated Brent Ohrman in the ninth inning.

The Eagles loaded the bases in the second inning, but went through an offensive drought until the final inning when Ohrman reached base on a bobbled ground ball by second baseman Alex Beckmann. After Zack Leonard sacrifice-bunted Ohrman to second, Ben Magsig was walked to put two runners on. Rubino ultimately recorded Eastern Michigan’s fourth hit of the day and his 32nd RBI of the season.

Leading the way for the Eagles was Sam Ott as he went 2-for-3 for a second day in a row. Matt Hitt and Rubino also tallied base knocks with Hitt earning a pair of walks.

Tom Barry (3-5) was nearly as effective in his nine innings of work for NIU, allowing no earned runs and just four singles. At one point, the lefty retired 18-straight batters from the second inning to the eighth. He also struck out four and walked two EMU hitters.

EMU concluded its weekend as it dropped a 2-1 decision against the Huskies on Sunday.

NIU’s Tony Manville allowed just three hits while striking out four and walking three over 8.1 innings pitched for his seventh victory of the year. Kyle Glancy closed the game to claim his 10th save of the season.

EMU starter Corey Chaffins took the loss to drop his record to 6-4, going 4.1 innings and allowing both of the Huskies’ runs. The duo of Steve Webber and Kristian Calibuso combined to hold NIU to four hits over the final five frames.

The only hits of the game for the Eagles came off the bats of Zack Leonard, Brent Orhman and Ben Magsig. It equaled the lowest offensive output of the year for EMU, which posted just 14 hits all weekend. Ken Battiston scored the lone run for EMU, coming home on a wild pitch in the sixth inning after reaching base off of a walk.

The Eagles are preparing to take on the University of Toledo Rockets May 13-15 in Toledo, Ohio. Friday’s game will begin at 3 p.m., with a 1 p.m. start time for both Saturday and Sunday.