Tools
Related Media

Kwame Kilpatrick to speak at EMU

Last updated: 11/18/11 10:18am

The embattled former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is scheduled to speak about “redemption and second chances” Nov. 29 in the Eastern Michigan University Student Center Ballroom at an event put together by a student organization.

Nicholas Patterson, president of Black Leaders Aspiring for Critical Knowledge, sent out an email to certain members of the campus community announcing the event.

Patterson said the purpose of the event is to “increase awareness of second chances.”

Kilpatrick is expected to briefly speak about “what he did, why he did it, and the road to redemption.”

Kilpatrick is currently facing several federal charges. On Nov. 17, new allegations arose when federal prosecutors said they believe Kilpatrick pocketed $10,000 in a bribe that took place in a restaurant bathroom, according to The Detroit Free Press.

Despite personal political views, B.L.A.C.K. is asking individuals to attend with an “open mind.”

“We believe that Mr. Kilpatrick is the perfect person to speak about second chances and that this event will help somebody, if not now, in the near future,” Patterson said in the email. “ Everyone, at some point in their life needs a second chance and/or redemption period.”

This will be the first of a lecture series hosted by B.L.A.C.K. and the event will begin at 7 p.m.

Published Nov 18, 2011

Comments