Ashley G. Terrell

Recent articles

Michigan promoters use MLK 'Freedom 2 Twerk' fliers, incite rage

|

When one thinks about Martin Luther King, Jr., there are many of qualities and contributions that come to mind: civil rights activist, God-fearing, revolutionary, a symbol of peace. But there’s a disconnect that exists with the younger generation on the significance of his work. A flier has created controversy with the image of King on a man’s body with a gold chain holding the “westside” gang symbol with the title “Freedom 2 Twerk: Martin Luther King Day Weekend Party.”

Michiganders respond to freezing temps

|

Mother Nature and Jack Frost released their vengeance across the state of Michigan with frigid temperatures below zero, treacherous road conditions and high winds. But through the torture of surviving this winter wonderland, Eastern Michigan University students were gifted with two back-to-back snow days from Jan. 6-7.

Hollywood producer and EMU alum Wesley Coller to speak at commencement ceremony

|

For Eastern Michigan University alumnus and movie producer Wesley Coller, his passion for creating and appreciation for visual masterpieces on the big screen has led him to incredible opportunities.
Once a little kid from Pinckney, Mich., Coller had a boundless imagination. He loved art, the coming-of-age film “Stand By Me” and had “crazy, illusive dreams that was an impossibility.”

Go Santa Go 5k held in Ypsilanti

|

The sun shone on the cold morning of Dec. 7, the sound of cheers as runners dashed through Rolling Hills County Park in Ypsilanti, dressed in Santa and elf shirts and hats for the Go Santa Go 5k Run.

Ypsi gets a holiday makeover

|

In spirit of the holiday, members of the Eastern Michigan University Student Government and the community joined forces to make the city of Ypsilanti magical and a little brighter with hanging holiday decorations on Monday, Dec. 2.

Detroit native Big Sean hits the EMU Convocation Center stage

|

Big Sean, one of the most popular artists in hip-hop since his debut album in 2011 “Finally Famous,” returned to his home state to perform at the Eastern Michigan University Convocation Center on November 20th, bringing his North American tour to a close. On Dec. 2nd, he will start the leg of his European tour until Dec. 18th.

ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Echo editor shares tale of connecting with long-lost relatives

|

This Thanksgiving, a special piece of my life that I’m thankful for is discovering where I come from and the family I didn’t know existed.

B.L.A.C.K. hosts its own version of ‘Family Feud’

|

On Monday, Nov. 18, Black Leaders Aspiring for Critical Knowledge held an event called “Family Feud: EMU Edition” in the Student Center Auditorium. Inspired by the original TV game show hosted by comedian Steve Harvey, B.L.A.C.K. invited a variety of different clubs and organizations to get involved in the festivities as part of B.L.A.C.K. Week.

Volunteer work: Put the ‘giving’ back in Thanksgivng

|

The season brings the spirit of being thankful but giving back to those in need. This month, volunteer around your city during these events and local centers to make someone’s holiday special.

Support our troops with these Veterans Day events

|

November 11 events: All morning— Free breakfast donut and coffee at all Krispy Kreme locations All day— Free admission to the Henry Ford Museum for active-duty military personnel, veterans and their families – location: Dearborn, Mich. thehenryford.org/events/veteransday.aspx.

ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Zeta Sigma Chi to host "Do You D.A.R.E?" event

|

“You don’t know how many people have been raped. Most people, who are raped, are raped by people they know. You don’t know how many people, what has happened in these dorms and no one has been able to come forward,” Dominique E. Moore of Zeta Sigma Chi said.

Women pay homage, raise awareness for Bomber Plant campaign

|

“I’m a Yankee Doodle Dandy, a Yankee Doodle, do or die,” a group of women sings in happiness. “A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam, born on the Fourth of July…”

'Paris Is Burning' screens in Student Center for OUTober

|

“Paris Is Burning,” the 1990 documentary directed by Jennie Livingston follows the ballroom culture in New York City and the African American, Latino and Transgender communities. With a vivid representation of gender bending, drag, and the art of vogue, it remains as one of the most legendary and revered documentaries in gay culture that continues to stand the test of time 23 years later.

EMU student to perform, show off drag swag

|

The men’s restroom at The Cavern Club in Ann Arbor is draped in all things feminine, with an assortment of wigs, corsets and costumes scattered about. The sound of Diana Ross’ voice faintly sings from a tiny boom box as Paul Bowling, 22, stares curiously at his handsome reflection in the mirror, before plucking a brush from the overwhelming heap of makeup on the counter.

Student organization encourages chastity

|

A woman feeling liberated and unashamed of her sexuality in a society that is explicitly fueled by sexual images and acts is appreciated, but how often is a woman celebrated for remaining pure in every sense of the word?

Why should you be homecoming royalty?

|

Shara Cabay and Adam Reid Shara: “Adam and I should be the next King and Queen because we both have a strong sense of pride and love for the University.

Remembering Tupac

|

Sept. 13, 1996 was a somber day when the music industry was at a standstill after the death of Hip-Hop legend Tupac Shakur was killed at the age of 25 in a drive by shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada. During his controversial five year career, his compelling lyricism with his poetic narrations of life of the streets and his anger with the treatment of young black males paralleled and made people take notice.

Dorm Cooking 101: Preparing college-friendly meals

|

For college students learning to take advantage of their newfound independence, figuring out how to make easy and affordable meals and desserts on a budget is a skill. Whether you utilize your dorm stove or a microwave, easy and delicious meals can be made.

Scandal's third season set to thrill fans

|

“Dirty little secrets always come out” and the third season of ABC’s critically acclaimed and Emmy nominated political thriller “Scandal,” premiering on Oct. 3 at 10 p.m, promises more gut-wrenching turmoil of forbidden love and suffocating dilemmas that rest on one woman’s shoulders.

Editor's hair journey

|

For years, African-American women have strayed from their natural “roots” for relaxers (chemical straighteners) to have that manageable, European look that has been revered.

Recent posts

'March for Autism' coming to EMU

|

Autism is a developmental disability that occurs in children as young as three years old. Autism affects children in three crucial areas: social interaction, behavior, and language. This commonly results in children being withdrawn, lacking social skills or having behavioral problems.

Recent media

dsc_0093
dsc_0187
dsc_0190
dsc_0194
dsc_0196
dsc_0207
dsc_0210
dsc_0219
dsc_0221
dsc_0174
dsc_0164
dsc_0149
dsc_0141
dsc_0138
dsc_0135
dsc_0122
dsc_0119
dsc_0105
dsc_0074
dsc_0065

Powered by powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News