Ashley G. Terrell

Articles (59 total)

Michigan promoters use MLK 'Freedom 2 Twerk' fliers, incite rage

When one thinks about Martin Luther King, Jr., there are many of qualities and contributions that come to mind: civil rights activist, God-fearing, revolutionary, a symbol of peace. But there’s a disconnect that exists with the younger generation on the significance of his work. A flier has created controversy with the image of King on a man’s body with a gold chain holding the “westside” gang symbol with the title “Freedom 2 Twerk: Martin Luther King Day Weekend Party.”

Michiganders respond to freezing temps

Mother Nature and Jack Frost released their vengeance across the state of Michigan with frigid temperatures below zero, treacherous road conditions and high winds. But through the torture of surviving this winter wonderland, Eastern Michigan University students were gifted with two back-to-back snow days from Jan. 6-7.

Hollywood producer and EMU alum Wesley Coller to speak at commencement ceremony

For Eastern Michigan University alumnus and movie producer Wesley Coller, his passion for creating and appreciation for visual masterpieces on the big screen has led him to incredible opportunities. Once a little kid from Pinckney, Mich., Coller had a boundless imagination. He loved art, the coming-of-age film “Stand By Me” and had “crazy, illusive dreams that was an impossibility.”

Go Santa Go 5k held in Ypsilanti

The sun shone on the cold morning of Dec. 7, the sound of cheers as runners dashed through Rolling Hills County Park in Ypsilanti, dressed in Santa and elf shirts and hats for the Go Santa Go 5k Run.

Ypsi gets a holiday makeover

In spirit of the holiday, members of the Eastern Michigan University Student Government and the community joined forces to make the city of Ypsilanti magical and a little brighter with hanging holiday decorations on Monday, Dec. 2.

Detroit native Big Sean hits the EMU Convocation Center stage

Big Sean, one of the most popular artists in hip-hop since his debut album in 2011 “Finally Famous,” returned to his home state to perform at the Eastern Michigan University Convocation Center on November 20th, bringing his North American tour to a close. On Dec. 2nd, he will start the leg of his European tour until Dec. 18th.

B.L.A.C.K. hosts its own version of ‘Family Feud’

On Monday, Nov. 18, Black Leaders Aspiring for Critical Knowledge held an event called “Family Feud: EMU Edition” in the Student Center Auditorium. Inspired by the original TV game show hosted by comedian Steve Harvey, B.L.A.C.K. invited a variety of different clubs and organizations to get involved in the festivities as part of B.L.A.C.K. Week.

Support our troops with these Veterans Day events

November 11 events: All morning— Free breakfast donut and coffee at all Krispy Kreme locations All day— Free admission to the Henry Ford Museum for active-duty military personnel, veterans and their families – location: Dearborn, Mich. thehenryford.org/events/veteransday.aspx.

Media