Susan Martin headshot

President Martin talks about coming semester

With the start of another new semester, Eastern Michigan President Susan Martin gave her thoughts and predictions for happenings on campus.

She said students can expect to see a lot of changes around EMU. One of these changes includes renovations to the residence halls and classroom buildings.

According to Martin, $81 million is being spent on giving the Science Complex a complete new look.

“We are also planning on renovating Pray-Harrold as well,” said Martin. “And we’re going to do a lot of work on the residence halls, such as new windows and steam heating systems.”

Martin also wants students to be aware of a new addition to the Hoyt Conference Center. The police station moved its headquarters into the new center.

“My main goal is to continue to strengthen Eastern,” Martin said. “I want to make sure that the physical facilities are safe and cozy environments for students. I also want to strengthen the current programs that we offer and maybe add new ones as well.”

The current economy may also play a role in how the school year goes.

One of the things that might be eliminated is the Promise Scholarship, which a lot of students depend on.

The president said she hopes everyone is able to have a productive year, and she offered some advice to incoming students as well as those returning.

“Get off to a strong start,” Martin said. “It’s a lot of fun to come to school, but there are a lot of distractions as well. Keep a balance and get to know one professor and one faculty member, and do that for each semester of college. I still keep in touch with professors that I had in college.”

One thing that students can expect to stay the same is student interaction.

“The president needs to be accessible to students,” Martin said. “I need to be able to tell you what’s going on.

“One of the more fun and exciting things about the job is being able to interact with students. It’s great to see students doing things like jazz choir. I try to attend as many events as I can, and I often encourage students to come up and talk to me whenever they see me.”