Roundup: Dobbins back in the game

The Eastern Michigan men’s basketball team split its contests last week, winning against the University of Toledo 74-59, and losing to Northern Illinois 69-77.

In the game against Toledo, senior forward Justin Dobbins returned after a six-game absence and scored 18 points to go along with his five rebounds.

With Dobbins healthy, it means fewer minutes for Matt Balkema. The freshman forward was starting in place of Dobbins. Balkema played four minutes against Toledo.

The win against Toledo pushed EMU (9-7, 1-2) past its win total of last season (8-24).

In the game against Northern Illinois (7-8, 3-0) Carlos Medlock had 28 points, which included a perfect 14-for-14 on free throw attempts, but it wasn’t enough to overcome NIU’s Xavier Silas and Darion Anderson. Silas scored 25 and Anderson had 22 points.

EMU’s Brandon Bowdry continues to be the main source of rebounding for the Eagles, as he has led the team in every contest this season, save against Western Michigan where Will Cooper led with seven.

The junior forward is averaging a double-double (18.2 points and 10.6 rebounds), leading the Mid-American Conference in rebounding and is currently third in points per game. Bowdry leads the Eagles in both scoring and rebounding on the year.

James MAC West Player of the Week

Sophomore guard Tavelyn James was recently named the MAC West player of the week, the conference office announced Monday.

“I guess it’s alright,” James said of the award. “We still haven’t won the MAC championship.”

In a loss against Toledo (13-4, 3-1) and a win against Northern Illinois (7-9, 1-3), James averaged 29.5 points, 3.5 steals and 3.0 assists. James continues to lead the MAC in scoring with 21.4 points per game.

This was the first of such awards for the sophomore guard, as she was named scholar athlete of the week twice this season.

Clair named MAC Wrestler of the Week

EMU’s Sean Clair was named the MAC wrestler of the week by the conference office Tuesday.

The senior, wrestling at 133 lbs. registered four wins on the week, the biggest against No. 17 Bill Ashnault of Rutgers at the Spartan Duals in East Lansing, as Clair was able to pin Ashnault.

The EMU wrestlers take on Central Michigan today at the Bowen Field House.

Walther: Male Field Athlete of the Week

After being named the MAC Male Scholar Athlete of the Week last week, EMU’s Oliver Walther took home another award this week as he was named the Male Field Athlete of the Week by the conference office.

Walther, a finance major with a 3.92 GPA, won the men’s long jump and triple jump this past Friday with a 23-03.25 long jump and a 46-04.25 triple jump.

Track and field is heading to Ann Arbor on Saturday as the Eagles compete in the Harvey-Simmons invitational.

Genyk gets a new job

Former EMU coach Jeff Genyk moves from his job as a commentator for ESPN360.com to become the new special teams coordinator/tight ends coach at The University of California.

“I am very excited and grateful for the opportunity to join the Cal football family,” Genyk said in a release. “I will work relentlessly to do everything I can to help the program continue to be successful and reach an even higher level.”

Genyk went 16-42 during his five seasons at EMU and was fired before the last game of 2008.
Cal went 8-5 last season, losing in the Poinsettia Bowl to No. 23 Utah, 37-27.

McMahon transfers

After splitting time with Alex Gillett for much of the season after starter Andy Schmitt was injured, quarterback Kyle McMahon has decided to transfer to instate D2 competitor Grand Valley State.

McMahon played in seven games in 2009, throwing for 634 yards, four touchdowns and four interceptions.