Dean of College of Education dies at 61

Vernon C. Polite dedicated life, career to higher education, will be missed by many

Vernon C. Polite, dean of the Eastern Michigan University College of Education died Monday evening of complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 61.

Polite was a key figure at EMU. As dean, Polite was in charge of one of the largest providers of educational personnel in the country. The college has more than 5,000 students.

One out of every four teachers in Michigan has at least one degree from Eastern and 1% of the national educational workforce has a degree from EMU.

EMU also has the distinction of having the largest department of special education in the nation.

Colleagues of Polite said he was a strong advocate of strengthening the learning community, but he was also known as a kind person.

In a statement released to the campus community, President Susan Martin expressed her sadness.

“Dean Polite was a warm and caring person, and an outstanding educator and leader,” Martin said. “He will be deeply missed by the Eastern Michigan University family. Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to his family.”

Michael Bretting, interim dean of the College of Education, said “the loss is overwhelming.”

Students from the College of Education have also been saddened by the news.
Sabrina Cristofaro, an elementary education integrated science major, was upset after learning of the dean’s death.

“It’s sad to see someone that involved with our education and future pass on,” Cristofaro said. “His involvement and dedication to the College of Education will never be forgotten. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and other loved ones.”

Polite was a Detroit native and he served as a principal in the Oak Park Schools in Michigan. While there, Polite focused on minority educational issues, urban school leadership and leadership in higher education.

As dean, Polite held two statewide conferences at Eastern. The first, “State of The African-American Male in Michigan: A Courageous Conversation,” was held in 2006.
In 2008, he organized “Nurturing Our Future as African-American Females: A Courageous Conversation.”

Prior to becoming dean at EMU, Polite held several positions in higher education departments around the country. He was the founding dean of Maryland’s Bowie State University’s School of Education from 2001 until 2005.

From 1996 to 2001, he was the Dr. Euphemia Lofton Haynes Professor of Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington D.C.

During his career, he also worked in the U.S. Virgin Islands for the Department of Education.

Polite received his Ph.D. in educational leadership and sociology from Michigan State University; his master’s degree in secondary education/educational administration from Boston State College; and his bachelor’s degree in sociology from Boston University.

He is survived by his sister, Carol Brooks, and brother, Willie Brooks, both of Detroit; nieces Gail, Regina, Lisa and Pamela, and nephew Christopher; and cousins Mercedes Broadfoot, Gail Washington, Tony Ball and Sandra Miree.

A funeral Mass will be held on Monday, March 15, at the Blessed Sacrament Cathedral, 9844 Woodward, in Detroit.

The Rev. Norman Thomas will officiate. There will be a 10 a.m. family hour, followed by an 11 a.m. Mass.

Memorial contributions can be made in the memory of Dr. Polite to the Bearline Wallace Brooks Endowed Scholarship Fund, in care of the Eastern Michigan University Foundation, 1349 S. Huron, Ypsilanti, MI 48197.