Frat guys raise money in march

Literally walk in girls’ shoes

An “International Men’s March to Stop Rape, Assault, and Gender Violence” took place Tuesday afternoon at Big Bob’s Lake House.

Men from different fraternities literally walked in women’s shoes to raise money for Safe House Center in Ann Arbor.

Safe House is a shelter for abused women and children. The non-profit center is dedicated to ending domestic violence and sexual assault in Washtenaw County. Safe House provides free and confidential services for any person in a domestic situation who lives or works in Washtenaw County.

Men from the fraternities Alpha Kappa Lambda, Delta Sigma Phi and Tau Kappa Epsilon were involved in this project.

They also had a table in the Student Center for people to pledge their commitment to ending violence against women.

People in the Student Center could trace their hands and sign on a board to show they are against violence towards women.

“This is a great opportunity to gain awareness about violence against women,” David Eyanaga from Alpha Kappa Lambda said. “People should get involved and do it next year.”

Alpha Kappa Lambda plans to take a picture of the board with all of the hand prints and signatures and send it to its national headquarters, where all the pictures will be combined together.

Sean O’Donohue from Alpha Kappa Lambda said, “This is a great way as men to show that we care about violence against women and to spread awareness about the problem.”
People who came to watch the event could make signs for “Taking Back the Night,” an event where people opposed to violence against women take a walk at night without fear.

There was also information available on sexual violence and gender relations.