Students see the option of nonprofit jobs during career fair on campus

More than 200 Eastern Michigan University students took advantage of last Wednesday’s Nonprofit Volunteer Career Fair in the Student Center Ballroom.

“[I attended the fair] to see what organizations are out there, so I can get involved in the EMU community,” EMU junior Jessica Horne said.

Echoing this sentiment, EMU transfer student Travis Williams said, “I want to get involved, and give back to the community.”

More than 20 organizations took part in this event, which was open to the public and the entire EMU campus.

Started back in 2002 at Eastern Michigan, The Nonprofit Volunteer Career Fair was a joint effort between the Department of Diversity and Community Involvement and the newly formed University Advising and Career Development Center. UACD merged the services of Academic Advising and Career Services Center.

“[The goal] is to provide an opportunity for students to be engaged in the community and market themselves to employers,” said Barbara Jones, senior corporate relations manager at UACD. “It [the fair] helps students develop their skills and helps them evaluate career opportunities.”

This fair does work as a two-way street with the participating agencies needing the volunteers. The Chronicle of Philanthropy, using a survey by Nonprofit HR Solutions, claimed the majority of nonprofit groups use existing staff or volunteers to support new programs and efforts. This trickles down to volunteers getting more experience and responsibility.

“Volunteers have to be willing to wear a lot of different hats,” said Niki Pointer, volunteer coordinator for Habitat for Humanity. “[You’re] required to do a lot of things you were not hired to do.”

Lamai Bryant of the Safe House Center said, “We always ask for as many volunteers as possible.”

Then there is an agency like the American Red Cross, which for every paid employee has 50 volunteers.

The Red Cross looks for volunteers who enjoy just helping other people and want to help out with community events.

“[I have a] huge interest in working with nonprofits, and need to find an internship for graduation,” senior Katie Liparoto said.

For those students looking to graduate who need to fulfill an internship, getting involved in volunteer work could turn into a career and be a great way to start networking.

Mark Huizenga started with the American Red Cross doing volunteer work as part of an internship while getting his undergraduate degree at EMU.

He worked his way up the ladder and now is back at EMU working the Nonprofit Volunteer Career Fair for the Red Cross.

Graduate student Corinne Eisenhardt also volunteers for the American Red Cross. Eisenhardt believes volunteer work gives students more complex tasks instead of what they might run into at some internships.

“You’re not getting coffee,” she said.

“At nonprofits you get a chance to do everything,” said Jane and Theresa, from Hands Across America. “A volunteer job can turn into a paid job with the right candidate.”

Passion was another key ingredient illuminated at the fair.

“Nonprofits have a true sense of commitment and passion,” EMU senior Nick Johnson said. “Hands Across the Water… they expressed help to me, a lowly college student, that says a lot.”

American Humanics, the student organization for nonprofit and volunteer students, was one of the organizations represented at the fair. AH helps students get internships and develop their networking skills.

“This is the student organization that want-to-be volunteers should be joining,” AH President David Kanaan said. “AH is a natural fit for the volunteer career fair because it serves as a springboard into the nonprofit and volunteer sectors.”

The fair also provided students with help building resumes.

Some of the students who attended Wednesday’s fair could be making a full transition like Mark Huizenga, from being a volunteer recruit to working as a recruit coordinator.

On Oct. 21 in the Student Center Ballroom, the Diversity Fair will provide another opportunity for students to network and get involved in the community.

For more information on the event or other career service opportunities visit University of Academic and Career Development at McKenney Hall.