TS-NOSTALGIA MCT

Business Side of Youth vies for Pepsi's money

The Business Side of Youth, a program of the Office of Academic Service-Learning, is competing for a $50,000 grant through the Pepsi Refresh Project. The Business Side of Youth submitted its program “The Business Side of A(rts),” which aims to give those interested in music production, graphic design and fashion the entrepreneurial skills to pursue their passions.

Currently ranked 283rd in the competition, B. Side is attempting to take its strategy to “empower youth” and “foster enterprise” to the number one spot.

In the words of B. Side, “To create social change you need power,” and the equation is as simple as this, “entrepreneurship = power = social change.” With that equation, the organization has led more than 20 students through 108 hours of training, an effort that bore such fruits as Concepts of Life, a student-made magazine, and In the Name of the King, a local band.

“Even a garage band, needed to have a business plan,” according to the B. Side’s website. Two of the bands founding members graduated from B. Side Basics in March 2010.

“In this severely and economically depressed area of southeast Michigan,” The Business Side of Youth has tried to give youth members “the tools of entrepreneurship: innovation, critical thinking, problem solving, boldness, and confidence, to change their lives and the community.”

The Pepsi Refresh Project has given millions away to organizations like The Business Side of Youth. It has sponsored programs such as building playgrounds for special needs children in Jefferson City, Ohio, and providing Christmas presents to low-income children.

Recently, a nonprofit group that had issued a complaint against Pepsi Refresh won one of the two $250,000 prizes. The group, Arms Wide Open Childhood Cancer Foundation, raises money for alternative therapies and treatments for children with neuroblastoma.

The group said 16 contestant groups that were members of the Progressive Slate were political groups and violated contest rules. Pepsi disagreed, saying the groups were not advocating for a particular candidate or issue. Eight of those groups won $50,000 prizes.

By visiting the campaigns website people can find out more about how Pepsi is trying to contribute to new ideas, http://www.refresheverything.com/index.

To vote for the B. Side’s program, you can visit its sponsored website at http://www.refresheverything.com/bsideofyouth or text 102979 to Pepsi (73774). Voting is open from now until Oct. 31 at midnight.