Student Government sparks discussion with “Times Talks” series

This past Thursday “Times Talks,” a series of conversations designed to engage students in discussions of current events and editorials featured in The New York Times, took place in the Student Center’s Kiva room.

The event was organized by the Student Government. The conversations will be offered biweekly and convene from 4-5 p.m. This meeting was the first of the series Student Government wanted to start with the student body.

Coke and pizza were available in the lobby before the event then students ushered themselves into the circular room. Jack Kolbrook, who studied extremist groups, was the guest speaker of the event.

Each student at the event was given their own copy of The New York Times, something Student Government has been working on for quite some time. Copies of the Times are now available on campus in the Student Center and Halle Library.

The article chosen by Kolbrook was “Found in Translation” by Michael Cunningham.

“I’ve come to understand that all literature is a product of translation,” read the article. The author of the article is also a published novelist who wrote “The Hour.”

Cunningham examined throughout the article how his book “The Hours” became “Las Horas” in Spanish, “Die Struden” in German, “De Uren” in Dutch and how these new translations will be interpreted by readers.

Signs, symbols and language became the topic of discussion along with how simple phrases can be turned around when translated. Dr. Kolbrook relayed a personal story to the audience, which displayed perfectly how things can be lost in translation.

His mother, who wished to avoid taxes on shipping to her family in Germany, would label the packages “gift.” However, the translation of “gift” in German is “poison.” Needless to say, his mother was dismayed to find out her family was not opening the packages she sent to them.

One student added to the discussion that not only are there different versions and translations of the Bible, but different interpretations as well. Also, within that religious context another student pointed out how in reference to the wars in the Middle East former President George W. Bush would often refer to the campaign as a “crusade” – a word that has very different connotations in the Christian and Muslim worlds.