Eastern focuses majority of recruiting on Michigan, Ohio

The recruiting team in the admissions department works hand in hand with university marketing and communications to attract students, Orscheln said.

“They are responsible for building our brand, radio and billboards, so that when admissions mails publications, sends emails or is in a high school or community college for a presentation, potential students may be interested enough to listen,” Orscheln said. “In other words, our marketing staff creates the awareness and admissions does the groundwork to build relationships with our prospective students and, when appropriate, their parents.”

The university also does “e-recruiting.”

“Basically, they are websites prospective students from all over the U.S., and the world, can go to and say they want EMU to recruit them, and we communicate with them through the website,” Orscheln said.

There are several reasons students found Eastern to be a good fit. From personal accounts of current students, the majority of them mentioned choosing Eastern because of the things they heard about their programs, including the wide berth of clubs and activities.

“I went to EMU because I heard about their good art program and had family that attended,” Amber Carpenter from Westland said. “I get lots of good help, friendly peers, nice variety of clubs and activity, and as far as the art program I’ve grown a lot because of the professors there who are good at what they do.”

Paul Fales from Monroe said he chose EMU because of the program offerings.

“It offered me a chance to join clubs so I could be socially active, like the Japanese Student Association, and it also offers people tutors for 100 and 200 level classes to which I took advantage of. The class size as well was reasonable and teachers were well educated.”

Other factors involved in attracting students are proximity to home and cost.

“I chose EMU because it was close, and they are paying my tuition,” Emily Gillingham said. “I really didn’t know anything about what I wanted to major in, so it’s not like that factored into where I chose. So basically it came down to not having any money, any help from parents, and having all this scholarship money available from here.”

ReShawn Rodgers chose EMU for similar reasons.

“I chose Eastern because of its convenience to my home and its cheapness,” Rodgers said.

“It’s cheap, its education program is well run and I like many of my past professors.”

EMU

“Socially I’m involved in the sorority Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi which gives me a support group that I wouldn’t have otherwise,” she said. cheapness,” Rodgers said.