The men’s swimming and diving team won both home meets this weekend, improving to 4-3 for the season and 3-0 in the MAC. The women’s team also won its home meet Friday.

Swimming wins 59th-straight MAC meet

The Eastern Michigan University men’s swimming and diving team competed in their second meet in two days, taking on Miami on Saturday.

Winners of their 59th consecutive Mid-American Conference meet, the Eagles improve to 4-3 (3-0 MAC) on the year. Miami is now 3-4-1 (1-2 MAC) on the year.

Leading the way, the Eagles placed both first and second in the 200-meter Medley Relay.

Time of the first-place finish was one minute, 32.20 seconds, set by sophomore Jacob Hanson, junior Troy Esentan, senior Justin Griggs and junior Matt Zavislak.

The second place finish of 1:34.85 belonged to sophomore Justin Duong, junior Jake Heyblom, junior Alan Duski and freshman Dexter Foos.

Other notable races came from sophomore Ricky Linder, who took the top spot in the 1,000-meter freestyle with a time of 9:39.42.

Zavislak finished first in the 200-meter freestyle, giving him the fifth fastest time in the MAC. Zavislak also took first in the 100-meter as well, finishing at 46.32 seconds.

In diving, sophomore Jeffrey Craig led the Eagles on the three-meter board with a score of 367.51.

Both men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams beat Xavier University on Friday by scores of 180-116 and 123.5-85.5 respectively.

The men took six out of thirteen first place finishes. With the loss, Xavier now sits at 1-3.

Hason, Esentan, Griggs and Zavislak gave the Eagles another strong start when they won the 200-meter Medley Race.
The collaborated finish now sits at the third fastest time in the MAC with a time of 1:32.53.

Zavislak would later capture a victory of his own in the 50-meter freestyle, marking a personal best 21.24 seconds.

The women’s swimming and diving 400-meter Medley Race, junior Sarah Maraskine, freshman Lexi Piranian, freshman Jacquelyn Swartz and senior Sarah Kowalski combined for a time of 3:59.21, easily taking first.

With the meet win, the Eagles are now 2-6 while putting another loss to Xavier’s record, who are now 1-4.

Recording two of Eastern’s nine first place finishes was sophomore Briana Emig, who picked up wins in the 200 and 1,000-meter freestyles.

Right behind her in the 1,000 was teammate Wesley Blassneck, who finished second in the race. The women swept the podium, taking all three spots in the meet.

From the diving board, sophomore Christina Nunez-Wood took first place with a score of 308.26.

Her effort represented the second highest mark in the MAC and is also an NCAA consideration mark.

The women are back in the water at 12 p.m. on Feb. 12 in Columbus, Ohio for the Ohio State Winter Invitational.

The men will return to action at 4 p.m. on Feb. 5 when they head to Columbus, Ohio to compete against the Buckeyes of Ohio State University.