Ex-EMU lefty Martin beat legends

Winning a big league game is certainly a feat in and of itself. But doing it against some of the best pitchers in major league baseball will make any win extra special.

Not too many people can say they won against Steve Carlton and Nolan Ryan during their prime, but Eastern Michigan University alumnus John Martin, 55, can.

Originally from Flat Rock, Martin grew up playing baseball as his father was a baseball coach. Martin played baseball in high school and was highly recruited by all of the Mid-American Conference schools but chose to play at EMU.

“I was recruited and [Eastern Michigan] was my best place to play,” said Martin, who was a left hander.

Martin would play for the then Hurons from 1975-1978. The Eagles won two MAC championships (1975-76) and went to the College World Series in those two years, with the highest finish being a second place finish to Arizona in 1976.

At the end of his senior season, Martin was ranked fifth in season strikeouts and complete games while finishing sixth in innings pitched. Those accomplishments are certainly not the only memories Martin has of his time at Eastern.

“Just the teammates and friendships you make,” Martin said.

Martin was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the 27th round of the 1978 MLB amateur draft. He played in the minor-league system for the Tigers before getting traded to the St. Louis Cardinals in 1980.

His major league debut came on Aug. 27, 1980 when he came on in relief to pitch seven innings. He allowed one run and struck out five batters for his first major-league win against the Houston Astros.

His win against Ryan come against Houston on May 21, 1981, when Martin pitched a complete game with one run given up and one strikeout while Ryan lasted 6 2/3 innings and surrendered three runs with one earned run.

Martin would win against another hall of fame pitcher later that year in Philadelphia’s Carlton. Both Carlton and Martin pitched seven innings with Martin allowing two runs on two home runs and striking out three. Carlton, a 1994 Hall of Fame inductee, had a rough time with four runs given up along with
three walks and five strikeouts.

Even with those wins against two of the best pitchers of their time, Martin still looks back on the team aspect in those wins.

“You don’t think about that sort of thing,” Martin said. “It’s not necessarily the personalities you play against, but it’s all about the team.”

Martin often went in between playing in the minors and majors throughout his career and his contract was purchased by the team that drafted him, the Detroit Tigers, in 1983. His last major-league game was the last game of the season versus the Milwaukee Brewers.

Martin played two more seasons in the minors for Baltimore, Detroit and Minnesota before he decided to retire from baseball in 1985. He had jobs in the golf and the construction industry after his playing days were done and is currently retired and resides in Florida.

In 2010, EMU honored Martin with an induction into the Athletic Hall of Fame. Martin considers it a great honor from his alma mater.

“It was a nice honor to receive,” Martin said. “It meant a lot with a lot of my teammates in there.”
Martin’s final major league stats during four seasons are a 17-14 record with a 3.94 ERA and 120 strikeouts.

He may not be seen in the national Baseball Hall of Fame, but he is in one hall of fame at EMU.