Manager cheers on

Nothing can keep this sports fan away from the game

James Kleimola is a student at Eastern Michigan University and a manager for the football team. But what you probably would not guess is that Kleimola has cerebral palsy.

About 500,000 children and adults in the United States have been diagnosed with CP. It is a disorder that affects one’s muscle tone, movement and motor skills, making coordination difficult.

Though he hasn’t been able to play sports, Kleimola has found a number of ways to fulfill his love for them. He has been managing sports teams since he was a student at East Middle School in Ypsilanti.

Kleimola has managed a variety of sports teams, from football to wrestling. Any opportunity he was given he took it. But Kleimola sets football apart as his favorite.

“I like that there’s contact and that you get people down on the ground,” Kleimola said.

Kleimola is from the Ypsilanti area and graduated from Ypsilanti High School. He chose to come to Eastern simply because he found it to be a great a school.

Of course managing the football team is an enjoyable activity for Kleimola as he loves the sport itself, but Kleimola also enjoys being around the group of players on the team. He admires the fight of the team and its will to never give up.

“We’re a team that never gives up,” Kleimola said. “We’re a team that keeps on fighting.”

Of the 96-man roster, Kleimola has his favorites. If you were to ask him whom he admires most on the Eagles squad, he will answer without any hesitation, “[Alex] Gillett!”

“He’s a great quarterback,” Kleimola said of junior Gillett. “He’s a great player. We have a great offensive line. We block for the quarterback.”
When he’s not working with the football team, Kleimola likes to play his guitar. He is also a member of Best Buddies, a student organization on EMU’s campus designed to provide one-on-one relationships for students who have developmental disabilities.

Students who volunteer with the organization as a buddy meet face-to-face twice a month. Once a month the chapter as a whole engages in fun outings and gatherings. There is also the option of volunteering as an associate member, who only comes to the monthly gatherings.

The group, led by its adviser Jasmina Camo, has provided Kleimola with a great best buddy and made his experience on campus more enjoyable.

“It’s a great program,” Kleimola said.

Many people see cerebral palsy as a setback, however, for Kleimola it is something that makes him unique. You can count on finding this enthusiastic member of the Eastern Michigan football team on the sideline every weekend inside Rynearson Stadium, cheering on his heroes.