Women's History Month celebrated around campus

“Too often the history of women has been left out of books. The purpose of celebrating Women’s History Month is to pay tribute to women, to acknowledge the struggle and let them know it was worth it,” said Dorthea Thomas, a women and gender studies major, student program coordinator at the Women’s Resource Center and founder of the Minority Women and Leadership Commission.

The Women’s Resource Center and Women and Gender Studies Program at Eastern Michigan University have collaborated to organize events for Women’s History Month this March. Events include guest speakers, films, panel discussions, workshops, art exhibits and showcases, which serve to “empower women achieving their dreams despite being a minority,” according to Thomas.

Featured speakers include Carrie Crawford, Esq., Theresa Flores, Ivan Coyote and Brittney Cooper. On March 7 at 7 p.m., Crawford will present “A Salute to Women of the Congo: Courage and Resistance in the Face of Impunity.”

“Looking Beneath the Surface: Human Trafficking in the U.S.” spreads awareness of the sex trafficking industry from the perspective of a survivor, Flores. This featured speaker will present at 7 p.m. on March 8 in the Student Center Auditorium.

“Chest Air” will be held at 7 p.m. on March 13 in the Student Center Auditorium, featuring Coyote delivering stories for the young LGBT community.

Finally “Race and Feminism in the Digital Age” will be held on March 19 at 7 p.m. with Cooper on race relations amidst a world of new technology.

If speeches aren’t for you, an array of dialogue will blossom from the films presented as well.

“The Greatest Silence” was the first film screened on March 6, documenting the struggle of the women of the Congo during times of unrest.

“The Help” will air at 7 p.m. on March 21 in the Halle Auditorium with a discussion to be held the following day at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom Lounge.

“Courting Justice” is the final film that will be presented at 2 p.m. on March 22 in the Halle Library Auditorium. It will cover topics of women’s rights and the judicial system in South Africa followed by a panel discussion.

There will be ample panel discussion on March 20. To kick off the day, the event “Women of Faith” will be held at 9:30 a.m. in room 330 of the Student Center to delve into the relationship between religious following and social justice for women.

Following that at 4 p.m. is “Affecting Change in Supply Chain Management” in room 204 in the College of Business, gathering to discuss the contribution of women to the professional world.

There will also be a panel held at 12:30 p.m. on March 15 in room 350 of the Student Center called “The Prison
Exchange Program” that informs Eastern students about the class WGST 202 in which students can works with women from the Huron Valley Women’s prison.

Amongst many other opportunities to learn more about the culture of women, a performance workshop will be offered by Ivan Coyote from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 p.m. on March 14 in room 350 at the Student Center.

Keeping the creativity flowing, the Fluidity of Gender Exhibit will be on display in the Ford Gallery from March 19-24 with a lecture at 3 p.m. on March 21 in Student Center Auditorium by artist Linda Stein.

“Not a Hair Out of Place” was a showcase held last week on hairstyles from the 1960s until now.

“This event highlights the tradition and cultural aspects of hair with a strong emphasis on black women. It promotes powerful women, beauty and confidence,” Thomas said.

“My favorite event of all is ‘Women of Culture,’ ” Thomas said. “No matter how many people come, they always leave feeling empowered hearing the stories of the unsung heroes who may have been overlooked because they’re a minority.”

The event “Women of Culture” will be held from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on March 12. There will be a panel discussion with former EMU staff member Sandra Gonzalez as well as food, music and dancing.

“With this event, we’re appreciating people for who they are and what they’ve done and not what they look like,” Thomas said.

According to Thomas, “These events are not just for one type of woman or one type of issue. They’re meant to showcase the power of all women despite their setbacks and downfalls. It gives a feeling of unity, bonds us together as women and gives us something to share and connect over. For women and minorities sometimes the truth
is left out. These events give them a chance to tell her story instead of history.”

For more information on upcoming events, visit www.emich.edu/womenshistorymonth/ or stop in the Women’s Resource Center in room 356 in the Student Center.