Relationships, jobs, where do priorities really fall?

Few people would disagree that our proudest and most accomplished moments in life become worth more to us when we have someone with which to share them. Whether it consists of getting our dream job, traveling to a new and exciting place or overcoming an obstacle that has been present for a long period of time, we all have someone we run to when life offers a surprise.

For this reason, one of the hardest decisions that some college graduates make is whether or not to continue a relationship that began during the last four years, after they have received a diploma.

These people must decide if they want to keep the relationship or move onto something new. This is the reason that I have chosen to stop pursuing any serious relationships until after I have graduated from college.

Not everyone is lucky enough to avoid this decision, however. College romances
are often taken very seriously and it can be quite a dilemma if you have to choose between pursuing a job or a significant other.

My advice for those struggling with this choice is to think about what options lie before you and imagining how they make you feel if you were to choose them.

For example, does the idea of moving to Chicago incite a feeling of panic and
depression, or excitement? Envisioning yourself spending the rest of your life with your current boyfriend or girlfriend might cause you to feel happy and fulfilled, or trapped.

Although it is true that certain opportunities will not become available again later in life, our path is not a numbers game. The best way to pick what to do is to choose what makes you the absolute happiest.

Bottom line is that no one else should sway you on this decision. If you truly believe you would be happiest pursuing the relationship even if you give up a lucrative career option, so be it. Long-term goals should always be considered, but living “practically” or making moves in life that guarantee future happiness, while causing current misery, is not always the best way to go about things.

It is true that sometimes you have to suffer in order to reach a goal or achieve something great. But, this does not mean you should totally disregard your current happiness in hopes that it will be made up later.

Life goes by quickly. Remember that most regrets come from not having the courage to pursue something, not changing your mind or making a mistake. Only you can tell if your relationship is worth sacrificing for a career or if your dream job is worth sacrificing for love.