5620_moving_day_35f.jpg

NSOA help students move in

New students began settling into college life when they arrived on Eastern Michigan University’s campus for Move-In Day Sept. 1.

Student volunteers from EMU’s athletic teams, student groups, sororities, fraternities and other on-campus organizations assisted new students moving into the residence halls; they welcomed the freshmen with enthusiasm. Activities throughout the day included seminars regarding campus safety and academic career advising, as well as a family picnic in University Park.

Carrying signs that read, “I love EMU” and “Fusion First,” many student staffers were on hand to share their school spirit and spend time helping newcomers. New student orientation assistants were available throughout the day to guide anyone in need of service.

“This is my very first time helping out with the orientation events,” NSOA Tim Grady said.

Grady started at EMU as a transfer student and was unaware of any of the festivities on campus at the time.

“The orientations are a great way to get involved, and the school’s volunteers are quite helpful. It’s a lot of fun and they actually teach you everything you need to know,” Grady said.

Alex Wehrle, another NSOA, began as a freshman at EMU last year and was involved with the Fusion activities as a newcomer.

“The key tasks for our group were to help students find their way around campus and introduce them to different organizations. The NSOA’s are running on adrenaline,” he said.

An exodus of students and family members made their way to EMU’s campus to join in the day’s festivities. Students found themselves amid the hustle and bustle of college life. The event also included free food, an eclectic musical set echoing across the campus and vendors from the college and community, such as Bed Bath & Beyond, to supply freshman with a last-minute shopping opportunity.

Constance Clark and Robert Richardson were both a part of the move-in helper staff, and assisted students with moving their belongings into the residence halls. Both agreed that they wished EMU had more elevators to help with the situation, especially on such hot days.

“Right now you’re seeing the highest freshmen population ever. It’s booming. Every room is filled,” Clark said.

“Students should keep alert. It’s so easy to have too much fun. Stay focused,” incoming freshman Robert Richardson, who was a first-time helper with the move-in bash, said when asked what advice he would give to students.

“Surround yourself with positive people,” Clark said, supplying incoming freshman with her own advice.

Katie Marecle, a third-time NSOA, proudly identified herself as a “valuable veteran.” She said that the NSOA’s are always there to answer any questions presented to them by the students, and familiarize newcomers with all that’s going on at the EMU campus and around town.

“Eastern has been my home, and it can easily be someone else’s home. It’s what you make out of it. You get what you give. There are a lot of great things to take away from here as long as you’re willing to get involved,” Marecle said.

While the weather was hotter than usual, people found shade underneath trees or in the food court. Booths were set up in the court to help all students, not just freshmen, with typical needs such as financial aid and records and registration processes.

Set up next to the DJ booth, Brittany Gross, president of the Residence Hall Association, was busy handing out water bottles and RHA T-shirts. RHA is a student organization that represents the students who live on campus. The group provides students with chances to get acquainted with others in a safe environment.

“The orientations were well organized this year and students should get involved and have fun, but make sure to go to class,” Gross said. “College … you only experience it once, so do it right. I love Eastern.”