Smoke-free Air Law has no strong effect on bar sales

A Sept. 17 report released by the Michigan Department of Community Health found the Dr. Ron Davis Smoke-free Air Law, effective since May 1, 2010, did not have a significantly negative impact on bar, restaurant or cigarette sales in Michigan.

The law banned smoking in all workplaces, including bars and restaurants, which made business owners fear they may face a decline in sales.

Professor Helen Levy of the University of Michigan-Institute for Social Research conducted the study using data from the Michigan Department of Treasury. The economic impact was analyzed based on sales tax collections from 2006 to 2011 in Michigan bars and restaurants and also from Club Keno sales.

The study said evidence suggested the Smoke-free Air Law had no statistically or substantively significant effect on Michigan’s bar and restaurant industry.

Jessica Grant, a four-year employee at Tower Inn Cafe in Ypsilanti, said she has seen both negative and positive effects of the ban.

“The food tastes and smells better,” Grant said.

She said people who hang out and drink do not stay as long because they constantly have to go in and out of the restaurant to smoke.

She also said that although Tower Inn has an outdoor patio area, smokers must remain at least five feet from the patio’s railing if they are smoking.

Grant said while it is unfortunate for those who smoke, the ban overall is good for the quality of food.

“I personally enjoy it, but I’m a non-smoker,” Grant said.
The Dr. Ron Davis Smoke-Free Air Law made Michigan the 38th state to ban indoor smoking in all restaurants, bars and businesses.