News briefs

Community Forum to examine Affordable Care Act

Eastern Michigan University will host the seminar “Everything You Need to Know About the Affordable Care Act: A Community Teach-In” Thursday, Oct. 25 from 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital’s Administration Area Auditorium at 5301 McAuley Drive in Ypsilanti.

“The teach-in will offer valuable insights from consumers, the insurance industry and medical care providers,” Richard Douglass, professor of health administration at EMU, said. “We’ll also encourage the audience to actively participate in a town hall question-and-answer session.”

Guest speakers include:

Robert Casalou, president and CEO of St. Joseph Mercy Hospitals – Ann Arbor and Livingston County. Casalou will discuss the expected impact of the ACA on a major teaching hospital and health system.
Steven Hernandez, southeast Michigan coordinator of Michigan Consumers for Healthcare. Hernandez will present the history of the act, as well as a brief overview.

Kirk Roy, vice president of national health reform at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, will talk about how the ACA would affect the current status of the insured and uninsured in Michigan.
The event is free and open to the public. Parking is free, but attendees are asked to park in Parking Lot P. Refreshments will be available at 5 p.m.

The Ride Reaches Record Ridership

The Ann Arbor Transit Authority has announced a record number of passengers were served during the 2012 fiscal year. The AATA provided more than 6.3 million rides and generated the highest annual ridership since 1973.

“As more and more people experience the ease, affordability and superior service that AATA offers to our customers, the more they want to keep enjoying the ride on public transportation,” AATA Chief Executive Officer Michael Ford said. “To set a new AATA annual record by more than 200,000 rides is truly impressive. This accomplishment reflects that public support for mass transit in Washtenaw County is overwhelming.”

AATA officials attribute the growth to several factors, including fluctuating gas prices, a mild winter, ease of access to routes and Washtenaw County’s improving economy.